Chapter 23

"Say my name and everything just stops."

-------------------------------

A week later...

As I walked down the stairs at home, I immediately smiled seeing my kids all together in the living room. I just took a shower and changed into something comfy: leggings with an oversized shirt. The shirt was actually so big that it slipped down my shoulder every now and then, but I didn't care. I just wanted something comfy since I would spend the whole evening with my kids. Thankfully, I got to finish work earlier today, so I decided to make the most out of it.

Unfortunately, the shower in my room did not work properly. When I stood under the shower earlier and turned on the water, the water splashed into all the different directions. So, in order not to set the whole bathroom under water, I had to use the guest bathroom. It wasn't that bad, just a little inconvenient – and it was bothering me. Derek used to do things like that. He used to fix those things. But now that I was no longer with him, I had to figure these things out on my own.

I sat down on the couch sighing. Of course, my oldest daughter noticed. "What's wrong, Mommy?", she asked me sitting down next to me. "Ugh, Zozo, the shower in my room isn't working properly. I have to call someone to fix it.", I explained tousling through her hair.

Zola just nodded and went back to reading her book on the ground. Ellis and Bailey were still peacefully playing a board game on the ground. A rare sight, so I decided not to interrupt them and reached for my phone.

I clicked on the chat with Nick. We really didn't see each other much this past week, but I figured that's just because of my new position and his new fellowship with Jo. We were both just really busy. But somehow, that made us chat even more. And our chats were... well, flirty to say the least. I saw no point in hiding my affection for him anymore and neither did he. So we did indeed flirt a lot. It felt like we were teenagers again. With that, an idea came to my mind and I started typing.

Meredith [5:03]: So what is your knowledge when it comes to plumbing?

Sure, I could've asked Alex – but why not? I pulled my knees up on the couch and made myself comfortable. The fact that he was already typing made me smile.

Nick [5:04]: Plumbing? Weird one. ;) Well basic, I guess – why?

Meredith [5:05]: My shower is broken, the water splashes everywhere and sets the whole bathroom under water every time I turn on the water. Any chance you could take a look at it?

The thought about Nick coming over made my heart beat a little faster. By now, I have admitted to myself that I was falling for him. Of course, I still was a little hesitant because after all, I never thought that I'd be able to feel such things again after Derek. But here I am.

Nick [5:07]: Sure. I could come take a look at it right now if you don't mind?

Before I could reply, I saw that he was already typing again. I couldn't stop a big smile from appearing on my lips while staring at the screen. Wow, now I'm really acting like some stupid teenager.

Nick [5:09]: I have an idea: why don't I come over with Charlotte? I heard that you were already trying to schedule a date for her to meet the kids. She could get to know them while I try to fix the shower?

Nick [5:10]: If that's okay with you, of course?

Nick was right. Charlotte and I did already talk about the whole babysitting thing. And on the phone, she seemed like such a nice girl. I was really looking forward to meeting her. We just haven't really found a date that suited everyone yet. And given my crazy schedule as chief, that was no surprise. So, I actually loved his idea.