Chapter 5: Aria of the Land and the Night Sky (Ghost of Mater Arc Part 2)

Author's note: Thank you for the amazing support for Silver Bird in a Gilded Cage! The chapter would've been sent out quicker but I had major writers block and my beta is applying to University of her choice. So, on that note please enjoy and don't forget to review or like! Thanks to my amazing beta Hanashi o suru.

Allen continued to read the documents, having nothing else to do for the remainder of the duration of their trip. It wasn't until he found a specific passage, where he broke the silence, "What...? The ghost is actually a...?"

"I can confirm what you're just read, Master Walker." Toma's voice sounded from the door. "I was a member of the expedition, so I have seen it with my own eyes. That ghost of Mater is..."

. . - * - . .

"A doll? The Ghost of Mater is just a doll..." Allen breathed, as he and the rest were racing from the train.

"Perhaps that would make the most sense." Link stated, "Walker, please keep up with us."

"Huh? Ah!"

"It's only possible if the dolls were made using an Innocence fragment." Kanda said, never averting his attention from before him. It wasn't until the abandoned city came into view where the four came to an abrupt halt. Something wasn't right, and they all could feel it.

What is this cold feeling...? Allen found himself wondering, "Where are the Finders?"

"We came here as soon as we could because Toma's radio couldn't get through, but..." Kanda stated, looking to the antient city below them, "They're probably dead."

"So, it would seem." Link found himself agreeing. "I do appologize for your loss, Toma."

Toma shook his head, "We know what we get into...I don't exactly have the luxury to mourn just yet."

"Hey, you." Kanda spoke up, his cold gaze on the youngest male in their group, "Let's get one thing straight. If I think you're hindering the mission, I'm not going to save you even if you're about to killed by the enemy."

"Now you listen here, Yu Kanda," Link was itching to put the Japanese man in his place, but was stopped by Allen, who shook his head.

"What a mean thing to say, Kanda." Allen said. "Huh?"

"What is it?" Link inquired. Allen gestured towards the city, letting Link know that something was close.

None made a move before the streets of the uninhibited city were alight with explosions. All four sets of eyes were instantly on where they could just make out the direction of the source.

"So that's the Akuma." Link noted. "Ugly fellow."

"When the fuck aren't they?" Kanda grumbled, already storming ahead of the duo.

The CROW was ready to fly off when Allen grabbed his sleeve, "Be careful, I think there's more to this one than meets the eye."

Link nodded in affirmation, before going after Kanda. Allen remained where he was a little while longer, before going into the city himself. Kanda, much to his personal annoyance, was going to need his help to find where the Innocence actually was.

. . - * - . .

"Right there, Kanda!" Allen called out, as Link distracted the Akuma. "That's the doll!"

"Right. Oi, twin-mole, do something about that sonnova bitch!"

"I'm working on it!" Link growled out. This issue is; I'm not an Exorcist, there's only so much I'd be able to do...I can't destroy an Akuma at all...tch!