𝟙 °Novelty

•The wind whipped harshly, slamming against him and sending his hair into a spiral. The wind, in its finest glory, was dry and icy and, at this moment, his greatest enemy. Alnirŕ was almost past the long range of snowy mountians, he hadn't dared to take a break. Not that he often needed to.

Though even if it was necessary he couldn't help but focus on the soft breaths that tickeld the back of his neck when he came to close to multitude of caves that borrowed themselves in the side of the mountains. They whispered and gossiped of evil things that liked to lurk in the shadows. It made his gut turn with unease.

So he kept on walking, even if he had to force himself into the sun, even if he wanted to drop dead and take a nap until the light was gone.

When night fell, he ran, when daylight said it's hellos, he started to take a brisk hike. It would be impossible to run all the way there, especially if he had to suffer during the hours of day.

Especially, if he continued to thirst for blood. Alnirŕ's eyes scanned the rocky shallows of the mountains as he continued on his way. It was so gray and white. No multitudes of green trees, no prey, no shade. It made his head spin, he was open and exposed.

He could only dream about when he'd arrive in Rivendell, it's peace and it's tranquility. Not that he'd be able to eat there, the elves would lose their hair if they saw him desecrate one of their furry forest friends.

As he continued to treck through the vast expanse of rock, he heard it.

It was soft, Alnirŕ almost missed it with the constant whistling of the gales. His wandering eyes zeroed in on a small crevice in a split rock, his feet froze, he became unmoving as he sniffed the air and felt goosebumps arise on his skin.

●•◇•●

The taste of iron was still present as he licked his lips once again. A self satisfied air settled around him.

And the rabbits foot he decided to take as a souvenir swayed gently against the force of his movements. He was running now, quickly, his feet now treaded upon grass as he continued his laborous journey onward. Mouth open as he took in small puffs of air to supply any sent he collected on the way.

It was however, becoming hard to continue like this, hungry, and his stamina was coming to a dangerous low. From his current position he could see the smoke from the chimney of a house, maybe two. Did he dare stray close? No. Regardless of his sufferings he couldn't trust himself enough to not give into temptation, not yet, not now when he was still hungry. His rabbit friend might have helped keep his wants at bay but to be stuffed into a place with a bunch of humans would test even his will.

It was warmer now that he had passed the mountains, grass fields lay in front of him, if he was lucky he could reach the trees before daylight.

As he continued further Alnniŕ could pick up on a musty scent in the air. It stank, and without much thought he knew it was Orcs, dirty, repulsive Orcs. His running came to an end as urgency took over.

'Orcs? What where Orcs doing out here so close to Rivendell?' It left his mind spinning with questions. His curiosity was almost as ferocious as was his desire to kill the filthy beings that dwelt so close. He hated them as much as he disliked fish. Of all human foods it was the one that reeked the most.

Now they where yelling, he could hear it as he shifted his weight and covered himself slightly behind the shadows of a bush. He could see the glimpse of a huge clearing, the suns rays starting to peek over the trees and lighting up the opening making it easier to see the moving figures over the vast expanse of dry grass. Alnirŕ's eyes weren't the best, unlike the majority of his kin.

He tried squinting, it helped a little, but- he still had trouble making up the figures. It gave him a painfully sharp reminder of the past as his eyes started to strain.

It didn't matter, he could rely on his hearing and his sense of smell well enough.

Now, with a slightly more sour mood, he continued to watch as the many Orcs continued their.......scuffle? No, they were chasing something, or someone. Even his nose had trouble picking up a scent from so far away. He could feel his lips twitch downwards as his concern grew.

Alnirŕ sniffed again, he was now, wholeheartedly, perplexed. Dwarves? And some other species that he couldn't identify.

Like pieces in a puzzle things began to click together and he hastily leaped up. What had Gandalf said? Something about Dwarves and a Hobbit?

He felt himself begin to move, his hand slowly coming up to part the fine black strands that had fallen in front of his eyes. Is that the company I am to join? He carried himself closer.

Elves, suddenly they where everywhere, as was the smell of horses and the suffocating smell of Orc blood. Tense and alert Alnirŕ decided to make the wise decision and delay his approach until later. He wasn't to hasty, and he was also not fond of stray arrows.

He didn't believe in fate, but damn, his timing couldn't have been better. 'Note the sarcasm.'

The remaining smell of the Dwarves had long been carried away by a small gust of wind. He waited, until the Elves left, which they did as soon as the Orcs had been disposed of. Timing was key and he would be lying if he said it didn't make him happy inside to see the Orcs slaughtered.

Steps careful, and breath baited, Alnirŕ departed from the sad excuse of a bush and the few measly trees that surrounded him, and made his way down to Rivendell.

A/N: *yooo so first chapter of my first book is out! I'm taking things a little slow in the story but he'll probably meet Thorin and the company in chapter 2. I'll also try and make the chapters longer to about 1500 if I can. Thank you for reading.* :)