Part 24

At five o'clock that afternoon I was sat outside a  cafe drinking a cup of coffee and keeping my eye on the a small office opposite, I watched and waited comparing the notes I had read on the paperwork to what I was seeing, correlating the two and checking for inconsistencies. I had seen the mark enter the building half and hour ago and now I waited for his secretary to leave for the day. The plans of the building had been included with the information I had, along with camera positioning, entry and exit points and possible problem areas.

I had decided on my strategy. I would do it fast, in and out, the street was still quite busy so I would have to enter through the side door which would mean that I would have to cut the power to the building from outside before entering. The problem with this was that my mark could be wandering around inside and possibly alerted to the possibility of my coming. I didn't know if that scared me or excited me.

As I pondered, a petite blonde left the office, and for a brief moment I wondered if she and her boss were fucking.
I finished my coffee and thanked the staff member who took my cup. Getting up I made my way down the road a while before crossing over and coming back towards the office building one road down. I had four blades on me. My Sgian-dubh and gifted throwing knife one at each ankle, butterfly at my hip and a small folding knife hidden in my bra. Each as sharp as the next. In the pocket of my black bomber jacket I had a black pair of gloves and a black Lycra balaclava that just showed my eyes. I favoured the Lycra as it wasn't as bulky as others.

Locating the electrical box, and slipping on my gloves I disconnected the power and watched as the office plunged into darkness. I would have to rely on all my senses as soon as I entered the building.

The door was open and I pulled on my balaclava as I crept inside. I regulated my breathing and listened for any movement staying close to the wall. I concentrated on the image of the floor plan in my mind and silently made my way towards the sound of someone rustling in a draw, in a room at the end of the small hallway.

As I got closer I could hear the man mumbling about a torch that should of been there and cursing someone for not paying the electric bill.

Pulling out my Sgian-dubh I inched forwards until I was in touching distance of the man.
Raising my blade and sliding into the base of the man's skull, severing his spinal cord as if it were butter. He went rigid for a moment and made a non-descript noise before falling in a heap at my feet. I crouched down to feel for a pulse. None.

I stood and retreated back the way I had come, closing the door quietly behind me. Peeling off my balaclava and gloves and strolling back in the direction of the motel.

Once there I locked the door, pulled out my burner phone and sent a text to Alvarez containing one word.

Done.

I entered the bathroom and turned the shower on, I was slightly dubious about using it as it looked like it hadn't had a good clean for while. But my need to scrub the murder off my skin was too great, so turned the hot water on high, stripped off and stepped in. The water stung my skin and I stood under it with my eyes closed waiting for my body to become accustomed to it.

I picked up a pair of exfoliating gloves and lathered them with soap before proceeding to scrub myself clean. Once happy with my cleanliness I turned the hot water off and waited for the spray of cold water to hit me. When it came it took my breath away but I stood still and tell it fall over me.

I exited the shower shivering and grabbed at my towel, wrapping it quickly around me and padding into the bedroom. I dried off as quickly as I could and dressed in a grey tracksuit and trainers. Once I had the majority of my things packed I set about cleaning my knife and re sharpening it before placing it back inside the sheath and strapping it to my ankle.

I had a long drive ahead of me, I hadn't eaten anything since before I left Oakland but I didn't think I could stomach anything just yet. My insides were still in knots and I was doing my best to not let my brain join in on the turbulence my body was determined to go through.

The journey back to the farmhouse was uneventful, no traffic just clear roads all the way home.
I was dog tired by the time I pulled up outside. The house was quiet and at first I wasn't sure anyone was here. But as I closed the car door and swung my bag over shoulder the door opened and Alvarez stepped outside, waiting for me to approach.

"You were quick." He said to me approvingly.

I quirked a smile. "I feel like it shouldn't have been as easy as it was." I replied.

"You were made for this Conejita." Came his response. "You have a gift, no?"

I laughed a little. "It's a bit of sucky gift if you ask me."

"It's a gift that has just made us both a lot of money." He said as he wrapped an arm about my shoulders to guide me inside.

"I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth then."
I replied.

He poured me a large Whiskey as I sat at the kitchen table and lit a cigarette.

"We will have contracts coming in regularly now, I will bring them to you, you will get final say on each one."

I nodded blowing smoke out the side of my mouth.