to lose one's mind

- chapter thirty one -

The room was silent, the Banwells and the Damons were around the table, not exchanging words. They had been driving around looking for anything that might indicate Brielle's whereabouts. But there was nothing, no clues, no information, nothing. She had disappeared from the earth without a trace. Ace looked at his hands which he was tweaking. He wanted to find her so bad, to kiss her, to forget about their decision to stay just friends. He closed his eyes, preventing himself from crying. He was the last to see her, he was the last to see her, and he left after an argument.

Tired of this suffocating silence, Ace stormed out of the house to go to the Banwells' garden. He sat against the wall and stared at the pool. He imagined that Brielle was in it, swimming and smiling. He picked up his phone and looked at a picture on his phone, his favourite. It was the picture taken during their movie night, god he loved that night. He didn't know if it was a date, he considered it as if it was. They had fun as before, dancing to music. This photo had so many memories, like that of their first kiss. Despite the consequences that this kiss had, he did not regret kissing the young woman back.

A notification hid part of the photo and Ace sighed. He pressed it and looked at the message that had just been sent to him. It was Victor, he was asking for news. They exchanged numbers a few days ago, finally ending this weird hateful relationship. It was a way to keep Brielle close to them, a piece of her was with them. Ace quickly answered that he was okay, even though it was a total lie and asked in return how the human was feeling.

The French window opened and someone sat down next to the young man. He didn't immediately look at who it was, his gaze on his phone. Ace...said his mother's soft, reassuring voice. She pulled him closer and rubbed his hair. He had never told her but she knew. She knew he loved Brielle, she had seen him since they were little. The day they argued, Ace had come home in tears. He never said what happened but Ashley knew it had to do with Brielle.

— It's my fault, he slurred, choking on his tears.

— Of course not, it isn't, Ace. She rubbed his cheek and dried his tears. She went on a walk after you left. How could you know what was going to happen?

He did not answer, he kept looking in front of him. It didn't matter what his mother was saying, he was feeling guilty and it wouldn't go away. Ashley brushed her son's cheek one last time and went back inside with the others. At the same time, Victor answered Ace's text. He was saying that he was good too, it was a lie and he knew it. But they didn't have to say that they weren't okay, it was obvious and asking how they were feeling was just a polite phrase.

Voices were heard louder and louder and Ace got up, going back inside. When he entered, he saw Rafe confronting a furious Theron. I thought I said to never come here!

— I know what you said Mr Banwell but it's important, declared the vampire, breathless. Ace walked closer to the team and crossed his arms, wanting to know what was so important that Rafe had to tell them now. My cousin has Brielle.

Without a second more, Ace dangerously approached the vampire and pushed him violently. It was sure, why hadn't he thought of that? Is she hurt? He shouted, pushing Rafe again. Tell me! Answer me! The Cotters. The Cotters were the culprits. They were only there for that, to kill them. I swear to god, I'm going to hunt each one of you if she's hurt!

Are you threatening me? Replied the vampire, taking the hunter by the throat.

— No, I'm promising you, he struggled to say. The vampire let Ace fall to the ground and left, having nothing more to add.