Ivy

I took in a deep breath, inhaling the Elizabeth Arden perfume that I had applied that now filled the space in the car. The voices of the hosts of 947 played in the background as I sat in the car, my hands on the steering wheel as I tried to calm my racing mind. It seemed like my life was moving at 200km/h and I could barely keep up. Was this what being young was all about? One moment you’re happy you’ve got your own place, the next you’re being pursued by your psychotic boss and kissing him in his Bentley and the next it’s the weekend and you hang out with a colleagues over drinks?

Well, shit, it’s a lot. 

I was still shaken up about what happened yesterday. I wasn’t sure what to do, I mean, it was my third day at work, and I already had an issue with the boss. I felt stuck, to be honest. I needed this job more than anything in the world. This job was my big break, and now it felt like hell, and it was only the beginning. I didn’t know who to turn to, because I knew that if I told my grandmother about what was happening with Schalk, she’d demand me to come home, and while I wanted to do nothing more than go home, I knew that it wasn’t an option. Kuku had raised me and taken care of me since I was a baby that it was time that I had to return the favour and take care of her. I know how proud she is of me and this job, and I don’t want to disappoint her. I don’t want to return home empty handed. I know if I told Malome (Uncle) Lincoln, then he’d tell me to report it to HR, but I’m a woman, and I know that Schalk being the CFO and his name owning the company that I worked at, would only make the assault complains disappear, and there’s a huge chance that things could only get worse for me. It’s obvious that people know what he’s capable of, which makes it even harder to envision any more days in that wretched building. 

Modimo,” (God) I hurriedly fanned my face as I felt the tears prickle my eyes as I thought about what my life had come to. “Don’t cry, don’t cry, Zama.” I hurriedly rushed out in a sad and strained voice as I cleared my throat, rolling my eyes upwards to stop any more tears. I took in a few breaths, choosing to push my concerns aside and then sat upright again.

I switched off the radio and reached for my phone which was a Huawei P40 Lite and called Reeva. The phone rang a few times before she finally picked up, “hello, darling!” she exclaimed, her voice high and happy and nothing at all the way we usually converse at the office. 

I laughed, “hey, Reeva. I’m outside this cute little restaurant called Sippy, could you come get me?” I asked her and I heard a couple of voices in the background before she said that she was on the way. 

I looked at myself in the vanity mirror one more time. Reeva had invited me some time in the week to hang out with her and make a couple of friends outside of the workplace, since I had told her that I had just moved to Jo’burg and was all alone, and she said that she couldn’t let that happen. So here I was, making sure that the false lashes that I had applied weren’t lifting at the corners. I just wanted the lashes to make my eyes look fuller. I preferred not to apply liquid eyeliner, I don’t know why, it was just a preference, but I loved the look of lashes on my short eyelashes. I had on a soft pink eye shadow that shimmered, and I had my makeup done to make sure that I impressed them since I was always worried about how I was perceived. And completed the look with a nude lip. 

My hair was out of the bun that I usually keep it in and the curls now framed my head. My hair reached just at the nape of my neck, and my hair was dark and perfectly curly, however, it was hell to maintain. I looked down at what I was wearing, which was a short denim skirt that reached mid-thigh with a pair of black leather high heel boots with a floral sweetheart neckline corset that tied in the front. 

I stepped out of the car and placed my phone and car keys into the black tiny handbag that I had, throwing it over my shoulder as I suddenly spotted Reeva walking towards me with a grin on her face and a drink in her other hand. “Hey!” she greeted with a happy hug and I returned it as I stepped back, looking her over.