Schalk

“You ever going to look away?” I heard the voice that belonged to one of my close cousins, Heinrich. I felt his hand on my shoulder, and I shook my head, my eyes on the honey beauty that was dancing in the middle of the penthouse with a few of my other family members’ girlfriends. My Ivy was dressed in a cherry red mesh mini dress with long sleeves, her hair was free and perfectly done courtesy of the celebrity hair stylist I had called in a few hours ago. She looked so perfect with the lights shining off her skin and the smile on her face as she and Heinrich’s girlfriend of four years danced to whatever pop song they’d just put on. 

The two women seemed to have taken a good liking to each other. “She’s perfection…” I mused, my voice coming out as thinly veiled adoration for the woman that I was going to spend the rest of my life with. Her skin glowed with a certain essence that let me know that she was already pregnant, she just didn’t know it yet. “When did you get back?” I hadn’t turned my head away from looking at my woman, watching her dance was more than enough for me. I had half the mind to walk over to her and rip that dress that barely covered anything off– the way that the red thong she wore underneath was slightly visible, the peak of her nipples against the material, the way the off-the-shoulder dress accented her collarbones and bone structure, and the perfect curves of her hourglass petite figure. Oh, how’d I ever get so lucky? 

Heinrich was one of the top lawyers in the country, defending the kind of men who had pockets that ran so deep, there wasn’t an end to it. He had the best law firm in the country, and the whole of the southern, eastern, and western Africa. He was a busy man, and we didn’t get to see each other a lot because he always travelled due to work. He represented the president of the country and the several elite families that ran a mafia that Heinrich managed to keep hidden. 

“Just an hour ago,” he responded, “I didn’t want to miss the opportunity of seeing the very woman who has my baby cousin Schalk on his knees,” he chuckled, and I turned my head to face him, a grin on my face as I brought the Corona beer bottle to my lips, drinking from it. 

“Aren’t you only 6 years older than me?” I countered, “I’m not a baby.” Heinrich enjoyed being annoying from time to time when it came to me. I was one of the few who managed to see his more light hearted side, and he was one of the few who managed to see my more laid back side. Other than that, Heinrich was more of a du Toit than I was, he was sicker than me, and that’s a lot because even Ruan fears the man. 

This man’s a legend, Ruan spoke up, interrupting my throats. Don’t get too close to him, Schalk! Just…take a step back, please…for fucks sakes, take a step back! I found myself taking a step back because I didn’t want the headache that came with Ruan yelling at me. 

“Hey, I was changing your nappies when you were this big,” he made a small notion with his hands, the size of probably the smallest baby bird you’ve ever seen, “do you remember when you peed on me?” he reminded me, a smirk on his face, his Burberry suit not at all like the people in the room who were dressed in more casual wear since this was a braai (barbecue/barbeque)

Oh God, we were only 6 months old! Ruan argued exasperatedly, tired of hearing the same thing from Heinrich. 

He can never let us live that down… Botha added in the same tone, as if rolling his eyes. 

Sakkie let out a chuckle, I don’t know, I find it kind of endearing

I know I say this often, but Sakkie? Ruan called. 

Yes? Sakkie replied. 

I really….really…from the pits of my stomach, the deepest corners of my heart, from the very essence of my soul…I really, really….like, as really as it can get, hate you. There are absolutely no words to say this but fuck, I loathe you. Like, deeply, thoroughly– Ruan went on.