Best Of Me

nostalgic [✓] | new dawn [✓]

♪  𝔂𝓸𝓾  𝓰𝓸𝓽  𝓽𝓱𝓮  𝓫𝓮𝓼𝓽  𝓸𝓯  𝓶𝓮  ♪

'tell me of eternity, just one more time'

Walking down the roads on a cold winter's day wasn't originally the plan; in fact, there hadn't been a plan at all. Staring at the black screen of his phone, the cold metal biting into his hands. When had it all gone wrong?

It felt like it had been just yesterday when he saw her, hunched over and intensely concentrating on the physics problem in front of her at the library. It hadn't been her clothes that captured his attention, nor the people she had surrounded herself with; it had been the frown on her face and the glare of determination in her eyes.

Then, she had looked up, and she smiled.

It had him hooked, and she reeled him in.

They spent the rest of the week skirting around one another, never directly approaching the other, just casual looks, small smirks, and the occasional wink, until she came up to him and invited him for a coffee. With the stupidest grin on his face, he accepted. They talked for hours, deep into the day, until the sun went down. And after they parted ways, they stayed up all night, texting one another.

He hadn't felt a thrill like that before. At first, he had thought it was simply happiness at meeting a new person, but later on, he would grow to realize that it wasn't simple, not in the slightest. It was love, and that in itself was as complex as one could get.

He fell in love, but it hadn't felt like he was falling.

Falling in love was quick and easy, like jumping off the top of a skydiving platform, the thrill racing through his veins.

They dated for a year and some, every moment engraved into his memory. They had never fought, and everything was as perfect as it could be. Perhaps that should've told him something, maybe that was what he hadn't realized.

Because six months after their first anniversary, they had met up, and she had ended it.

That had been exactly twenty-three minutes and sixteen seconds ago.

His emotions were still in turmoil, and his mind was a mess. Her exact words stuck in his head like a quote burned into metal, 'It's not you, it's me,' five words that ended their eighteen-month relationship seemingly built out of lies.

He walked straight out of the cafe after that, not wanting to listen to her bullshit.

They often stayed up late, talking about their future, how she wanted to become the head of the biggest cosmetics company ever, and how he would become the CEO of a globally known fashion brand.

He had no intention of letting go of that dream; he would just make some alterations to the future he had been imagining for the past couple of years.

It would have to be without the centerpiece it had once been built around.

Unlocking his phone, he glared at his notifications: twenty-five missed calls from the number he knew as well as he knew his own.

Clicking the number in his contacts, he blocked her, renaming her as 'do not respond.' For half a minute, he had been tempted to place her as a two-word name saved solely for the worst of humankind. The angel in him won, but barely.

Sitting down on the bench closest to him, he got to work, something in him driving all of his energy towards blocking his now ex on every social media platform. They shared only a few friends together, but even those had originally been his before he introduced her to them.

When he finally found the strength to get himself off the bench again, the sky cleared, allowing the sun's rays to shine through and down on him. With renewed determination, he took a new step towards his future and one more away from his past.

Looking back, he couldn't believe he hadn't seen the signs earlier. She had been replying to his texts less, making excuses whenever he asked her out on a date, twisting the conversation towards a different topic when he asked her if anything was wrong.

He had reached out to her, but she simply ignored his hand.

An olive branch had been burnt, a bridge destroyed, a pathway he didn't want to walk down again.

He had given her the best of him, everything he had and nothing less, but still, even if you moved heaven and earth for someone who wanted to stay deep down under the waves of the ocean, they wouldn't change their mind.

Every once in a while, he would think of her, imagining one more 'I love you,' one more 'I'll never change,' one more of her honeyed lies.

But he knew, and he knew it well, that in the end, life would do as it pleased, fate would bend heaven and hell, and the three sisters would spin the thread as they wished, and there was nothing you could do, because destiny did as destiny does.

A relationship wasn't a 'give all, receive all' thing, no. It was a 'give and take' from both parties. But in that relationship, one of the many he would live to have, he had given it his all and received nothing in return.

He had no regrets walking out of that coffee shop, none at all.

Even if he went back in time and had the power to change the future, he would do it again. Because that relationship was what ignited the fire in him to become what he was today: a powerhouse name, the elite of the elite, the best of the best, everything he imagined and more.

'I walk above the clouds'

✎...A/N: sometimes, even when you've given everything you possibly can, you simply don't receive anything in return.

don't forget to vote, comment and follow for more!

xxx