Be Kind

sad [✓] | lost friendship [✓]

♪  𝓫𝓾𝓽  𝓲𝓯  𝔂𝓸𝓾'𝓻𝓮  𝓰𝓸𝓷𝓷𝓪  𝓯𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽,  𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓷  𝓭𝓸  𝓲𝓽  𝓯𝓸𝓻  𝓶𝓮  ♪

'I know it's hard for you but it's not fair'

"I can't anymore," the sound of glass shattering snapped her back into reality. "You can't? You're standing here, in my living room, throwing my mother's prized china onto the floor of my house, and you say you can't anymore?"

Throwing down the bloody cloth onto the stained marble floor and bolting right to her feet, she growled, "I am done with your crap. I've been putting up with your whining about your parents because you were my friend, my best friend, but I draw the line at breaking my stuff."

She gestured at the broken pieces of her deceased mother's favorite dishes, a vein in her arm popping out viciously.

"I've let you crash at my place because you're my best friend. I lied for you when your boyfriend broke up with you, saying you were sick. I brought you to the fricking hospital when you, stars know how, broke your ribs," she pointed at herself, "me, nobody else, me."

She stared right into the cold blue eyes of the girl she now considered her former best friend. "My brother is overseas, working his ass off so I can live comfortably, but here I am, opening my home to you, spending my time with you, and this is how you return my favor? By destroying my living room?"

She shook her head. "I've been there for you every step of the way. I've forgiven you time and time again for bitching about people to me when you know they're my friends. I've forgiven you for turning up at my doorstep when your parents fought. I've forgiven you for taking credit for my work. But this, this is the last straw. Go fix yourself, Mae, your family, and your life, because I am not someone who can do that for you. I've tried, but it seems that I was more willing to do it than you were."

Her voice was quiet but sharp, a tone she never used on anyone. She saw Mae flinch, but she couldn't find it in herself to care.

"I recommend starting with all your broken friendships, aside from ours, because this isn't just broken, it's completely obliterated. It's been toxic all this while, but I've let it be because I loved you as your best friend, and, once upon a time, your sister," she pointed to the door. "Go, and don't come back."

She hadn't spoken loudly, yet an air of emotions surrounded her, enveloping the room in silence. "Why are you still here?" she asked, void of anything that would give away her feelings.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" asked the girl before her.

"You leave me no choice. As much as I wish our friendship had been more than what it was, it can't, it wasn't, and that means it'll never be. Now leave, before my brother gets home. You may have never seen him, but I assure you, after all of this, you never want to, not when you've officially been moved to my excommunicado list."

With that, her former best friend turned on her heel and walked out the door, and, finally, out of her life.

An hour later, just as she had finally finished wiping all the blood off the floor, the familiar footsteps of her brother emerged behind her. "The CCTV told me everything. Are you alright?"

She stared up into the warm brown eyes of the only person in her life who stuck around long enough to love her and collapsed into his arms, tears streaming down her face. "Why? Why did she not love me back when I loved her so? She was my sister. She was my sister," sobs wrecked her body.

"When the waters of certain rivers turn poisonous enough to suffocate the marine life, they swim to a different area to start over, because they know, better than we do, that toxic habitats will do us no good, only harm," he placed a gentle kiss on her temple and held her, not saying anything more.

There was nothing to be said.

He knew she would be able to move on; she was strong enough, she always had been, she simply never realized it. But that would take time, and right now, time was all he had, so he just stayed there, comforting the little girl who was slowly but surely growing up under his watchful eye.

He himself had gone through multiple toxic friendships, but this had been her first, and he knew that it wouldn't be the last. But that would be later; right now, she could grieve for as long as she wanted, and he'd be here to catch her tears.

'you can be kind to the one that you love'

✎...A/N: toxic friendships, if you haven't been through them, you're super lucky. don't take your friends for granted, but don't let them take you for granted too.

don't forget to vote, comment and follow for more!

xxx