Fix You

sad [] | painful []

♪  𝓘  𝔀𝓲𝓵𝓵  𝓽𝓻𝔂  𝓽𝓸  𝓯𝓲𝔁  𝔂𝓸𝓾  ♪

'when you lose something you can't replace'

Losing someone doesn't just mean family and friends; there was always something worse, and he knew it too well.

He was twenty-two when it happened.

It had been a rainy day, almost exactly like this one. There had been lightning, he remembered, and at some point, there was hail too. But it was the thunder that flashed across his mind whenever he thought of it. It had been ridiculously loud.

He was a musician, someone who grew up loving music, and it didn't hurt that he had a natural talent for it too. Melodies, lyrics, beats, harmony—everything had always come naturally to him. Life itself was music. When people saw yellow, he heard the light chime of bells; when others saw blue, he heard the gentle shake of a rainstick. Everything was music to him, and music had been the very thing that connected him to the person he loved most.

She was his childhood best friend, a cliche, sweet kind of relationship. And yes, he'd always harbored feelings for her. But once you spend your time with someone, it's hard not to notice how absolutely beautiful they are, because there was beauty in everything, was his logic.

Thinking back, the day they'd met had been raining too. After all, rain had always been their thing, but it hadn't been harsh and heavy. The rain during the day they met was gentle enough that they'd still waded into the river and thrown mud at each other. Later, it'd been his mother who came looking for him.

His mother was more or less used to him and dirt, but seeing the girl he'd dragged along, insisting that she clean up at his house, his mother had been mildly surprised. But that was the beginning of their roller coaster of a friendship.

She had just turned twenty-two, and he'd insisted that they take a spin in his new car. Being a doctor-in-training, he'd always been working for his mother, a hospital CEO. So his income was as steady as could be. Besides, he'd been saving up for the car for the longest time.

They had been going out to the bar, the Collision, their favorite place near their school. While he didn't enjoy crowded places, she enjoyed it too much for him to say no. It had been pelting like crazy, and more than once, they'd wondered if the windshield was going to break. It had been a highway accident that stopped them in their tracks.

She had insisted that they get down to help, and he'd agreed at once. Both were like-minded people in a way where others came first, perhaps because they had both grown up in households with medical professionals, or maybe it was just them.

The highway crash was absolute chaos. People were screaming, cars stopped in the middle of the road, and worse, he'd seen gasoline spilling out from the car involved in the crash. She'd found a tradesperson who had cones with him, and they'd blocked off the exit while the police rushed to the scene. While she'd been doing that, he'd been taking care of those injured in the car crash.

There had been a three-year-old girl, a pregnant mother, and a father in one car, and the other held a put-together young man who seemed to be in his mid-twenties. He'd been able to pull them all out and had taken the steps expected of him as a medical student while waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Everything seemed to be as well as could be.

Until it happened.

It had taken only one stupid motorcyclist to ignore the cones and zip through the area of destruction at full speed for it to happen. He saw it clear as day, and it still haunted him in his dreams.

The tranquil look on her face as she attempted desperately to shield her head from the brunt of the fall. He'd arrived half a second later. But he was half a second too late. She'd suffered major trauma to her head, and during those seconds, she'd gone from a hero to a victim. Instead of the car crash patients being rushed to the hospital, she'd been placed in the first bed.

He'd insisted that he stay with her, and the paramedics hadn't argued. He couldn't hear anything but the violins and pianos in his head, the ear-piercing sounds that broke his heart. He couldn't imagine a world without her.

She hadn't died that day.

But a part of him had.

Even now, he saw her every day, and every time, she'd ask him the same question. "What were we like back then?" And every single time, he had one answer for her.

"We were beautiful," he'd respond. He didn't miss the sadness in her eyes, but she did miss the way he looked at her.

It had been three years, and he was an almost fully-fledged doctor, and she was his most faithful patient. She'd also become a part of his life he'd come to rely heavily upon. He hadn't healed, and neither had she, but her memories were coming back, little by little, and with them, the girl he once loved.

But even if you break a mirror and attempt to glue it back together, it'll never fully go back to how it was before.

But that didn't mean that he was going to leave her.

Never once did he consider the fact that he would live without her. It wouldn't be the picture-perfect future they'd imagined. But without her, there was no future, for she was his future.

And that was that.

'lights will guide you home'

✎...A/N: covers of fix you by Coldplay will forever have a special place in my heart

don't forget to leave a comment, vote on this chapter and follow for more updates!

xxx