Chapter 16: His Story

Authors note:
Sorry guys, I know most of you have already read chapter 16, but I decided I didn't like it. So, I rewrote it. Thanks.

It's been a couple days since we brought Pierce to the beach. Alder thinks it'll be at least a week before he's allowed to get up. No one has been in to see him except Alder.

I haven't been able to leave the camp since I found him. Taiwo's watching me constantly. His excuse is that I'll get hurt. But the real reason is obvious.

********************************

I'm finally able to see Pierce. Alder lets me be the first to see him.

"Hey," I say as I walk into his makeshift shelter.

"Hi," he replies.

There's a silence.

"So," he says. "You hit me... with a rock."

"Ya. I know," I answer. "Sorry."

He rolls his eyes. "What's the coverup anyway?"

"You live here and you went for a walk and you fell."

"That's it? That's why you hit me with a rock?" I look down. "I thought you would be more creative than that.

"Anyway, since you did save my life, endanger it, then save me again; I owe you."

"Ok," I say taking the chance. "Answer this: do you have contact to someone off the island?"

"I-er-did. They cut our contact with them."

"Who?"

"I can't tell you," his eyes are fearful.

"Why?" I counter.

"They killed my family and took some things."

"I don't suppose you'll tell me what those are?"

"I'll tell you what one is: my sister."

"I'm sorry," I say sympathetically. "Do you know why?"

"Part of it. Yes," he answers. I don't push him any further.

"How long were you in that closet?" my curiosity is in full bloom.

"A couple days maybe," he shrugs.

"Can I ask about your family?"

"Sure," he says. "my father was born on the island. I have-had two little brothers, John and Will, and a sister named Maddison."

I reach out to touch his hand. "I'm sorry."

He pulls his hand away from mine, only to place it on my lower back. He pulls me close to him and I'm too shocked to pull away.

Our lips meet. Our eyes flutter shut. My right hand touches his face.

I reluctantly pull away. My eyes wide, my cheeks flushed, a hurricane of butterflies swirls in my stomach and up my throat.

His eyes are no longer fearful, but longing. I turn away knowing I might end up kissing him again.

"I-I-we can't do this. I have a boyfriend. Here." I turn back to face him. His face is stricken, but his eyes linger on my lips.

"No," I whisper as I turn to exit the makeshift shelter. "We can't. Not yet."

I go back to my shelter. My eyes flooded from the experience. My fingers run over my lips.

I shake my head trying to clear it. I snatch my bag from the corner of my tent and dump its contents.

I get up and run to Taiwo.

"Hey," I say after I find him.

"Hey," he's distracted. "Are you ok?"

"Yea, I'm fine. Are you?"

"We're stuck on this island; what do you think?"

"Good point," I say. "Want to take a walk?"

"Sure," he says.

We start walking by the tree line. He tries to hold my hand, but I pull it away.

We walk for more several minutes before either of us says anything.

"What's wrong?"

"What? Oh," I say.

We continue to walk and I tell him something isn't right. We're on this island, any of us could die at any particular given moment. I go on to telling him there's something no one is telling me and I have a right to know. I pause, waiting for him to say something.

He continues to walk beside me in silence.

  "Whatever we have, I don't think it's there anymore. People have to earn my trust and you've done nothing to prove you're worthy. This isn't working."

He starts shaking his head. "No," he whispers. "Not again."

I cut in front of him and place my hands on his face. I bounce up in my tip toes and kiss him. "I'm sorry."

I turn on my heels and head back to camp.

I can tell he's watching me leave, but I don't turn back to look at him.