Chapter 9: The Island

A/N: 112 people have read this!!! Ya! You people are awesome! I'd really appreciate comments on what you loathed and what you liked so I can improve. Finally, if you like my story it'd be nice if you clicked that little star. Alrighty, now to the good stuff!

We sail around looking for land for two days. We're all beginning to tear our selves apart. Taiwo, Trivera, and me especially. We keep trying to pull ourselves together, but every time we end up beating ourselves up about it even more.

We finally bothered learning each other's names.

The two little girls' names are Aggie and Anika. They're also sisters that are only a few months apart in age and are four years old. They play little hand games and laugh at EVERYTHING! They seem to cheer up everyone on the boat. The woman who was unconscious when we first got onto the boat roused about the second day on the boat. Her name is Lotus. She turned out to be Aggie's and Anika's mother.

The old man's name is Alder. He is 83 and lost his wife a year ago. She died because of a rare cancer. He used to be a doctor and a botanist. Apparently that means he studied plants. He is fairly good with children, but loses his temper really quick.

The woman who was holding the little boy is called Charlene. She is a young mother of two little boys. She won't tell us her actual age, but she's probably in her late 20's or mid 30's. Her husband, Brian, is in the military on a vacation. He was carrying the other little boy. Charlene was carrying one and holding one's hand when they first set foot on this boat. Their boys' names are Luke and Andrew. Luke is five and Andrew is four. They still think girls have coodies and stay as far away from the little girls as possible.

The little girl who holds a doll all the time is Brinn. She is seven. Her doll is the only thing she has and she hates it when people call it a doll and insists on having everyone calling it, "Jocelyn." There's a backstory behind her, but she refuses to tell us. She rarely ever talks and has a straight face most of the time. Sometimes she'll join Aggie and Anika in one of their hand games.

*******************************

At the beginning of the third day, we finally see land. It's a relief to all of us. We all hope there's people who can help us get home.

Taiwo and Brian row as fast as the can. It takes us half an hour before we can see what the island looks like.

The trees are dark. The trees are so tall it seems like they could go up forever. On the far right side of the island is a small house. It is either painted white or is made of white bricks. The roof is grey. The house seems to be well cared for. The sand on the beach is as white as my skin. The water surrounding the island is dark. It has a sense of gloom to it. It would swallow the boat and everyone inside without a second thought.

We reach shore within an hour. We bring the boat on the shore to make sure it wouldn't drift off on the current.

Everyone climbs out of the boat and collapses on the sand. The children fall asleep almost instantly. Turns out, that by wearing everyone else out, tired themselves out.

Lotus, Alder, Charlene, Brian, Taiwo, Trivera, and I gather round to figure out what we need to do.

"What are the objectives? What do we need to get done to stay alive? How can we get ourselves rescued?" Alder asks.

"Well," Trivera says. "Um. I think we should appoint a leader as well."

"We should probably send some people over to that house, to see if there's someone there," Taiwo says. "Then, send some people into the jungle to scout. We also need someone to stay here to watch them," he says pointing at the children. "And those who stay here should also make a temporary shelter."

"We can start a fire," I say. "That might get someone to notice. Also, when do we want to vote for a leader?"

"Now would be fine," Brian says. "Who's going to run?"

"I say, Brian, Taiwo, Alder, and Avice," Charlene says.

"All those for Brian being leader say, 'I'" Alder says. The only sound to be heard was the the the scream of a bird. "Ok then. All those for Taiwo?" He says.

"I," Alder, Brian, Trivera, and I say.

"Congratulations, Taiwo," I say. "Now, what's the plan?"

"We need to divide up into groups," Taiwo says. "Who wants to watch them and build a shelter?" He points at the children.

"I will," Lotus says.

"I probably should. I'd slow down any one else," Alder says.

"Who wants to scout the island, pick berries, gather wood, and things to make weapons?" Taiwo asks.

"Charlene and I will," Brian says.

"That leaves checking that house out for Trivera, Avice, and me," Taiwo reasons. "We should check the house out later. Right now our priorities are food and shelter. We'll join the scouting party."