Chapter 11: The Lie

A/N: Sorry for not updating sooner. I'll try to update more often. Also, thanks so much for reading this!

I find myself on the sand. The sand under me is warm from my body heat. I look around, I'm all alone.

I could have died and I was left alone. I could have chocked on the sand and I'm still alone. Didn't anyone want to be here to see me wake up?! I'm sure someone wanted to, but we don't have any leisures or time here, or ever.

Why am I alone? Why am I even here? I need to do something. Get a pencil in my hand and a binder of blank paper under it. Infinite possibilities on things to write. Millions of different words I could twist. If I can do anything, it's write. Writing is my way of venting. My way of talking when my tongue is tied. My way of creating adventures, perfect scenarios, scandals, different versions of reality, and things I'll never have.

I get up and look around the beach, hoping to find someone. When I get up, my left leg gives out and I go crashing to the ground. I lay there, helpless.

"Hello?" I try to shout, but voice won't cooperate.

No one comes.

I lay there for hours.

*******************************

Finally, I begin to see blurry figures. They swarm around me like buzzards over a carcass. Then I realize I am the carcass.

Taiwo's face starts to come into focus. He appears to be yelling at someome else on the beach.

He turns his head towards mine. A smile begins to itch across his face.

"I told you I wouldn't get myself killed," I say weakly.

We exchange weak laughs. "Actually you said, 'if you're going to get yourself killed,'" Taiwo says.

There's a silence that demands to be broken.

I look away, towards the tree line. It's beautiful, mystical, and eerie at the same time. I'm drawn to it. I force myself to look back at Taiwo, promising myself that I will go wander through the trees later. I will wander through it with or without someone.

"What happened?" I question.

"Well," Taiwo sighs heavily. " You were bitten-"

"No," I say. "Not that. What happened after I passed out?"

"Oh," Taiwo looks Trivera.

"After you passed out we carried you back to the beach and Alder did some medical crap that saved your life." Trivera says, hesitating, "that's pretty much it, actually."

I don't believe her. They're lying to my face. Why? What are they hiding? And why?

"Fine," I spit out. I look at Trivera. I know she knows what the look I'm giving her means.

We need to talk.