Chapter Twenty Three: Sprung.

[Chapter Twenty Three: Sprung. Edited.]

On Wednesday, Harry, Hermione and I were sitting alone in the common room. Hermione sat still studying. Harry was watching the fireplace, and my head was resting on Harry's shoulder as I tried to stay awake. The clock struck midnight, scaring me out of my wits. I jumped up bashing my head into Harry's.

"I'm sorry!"

"S'alright," Harry mumbled rubbing his chin.

Ron appeared out of nowhere as he pulled off Harry's invisibility cloak (I jumped again). He had been down at Hagrid's hut, helping him feed Norbert, who was now eating dead rats by the crate.

"It bit me!" he said, showing us his hand, which was wrapped in a bloody handkerchief. "I'm not going to be able to hold a quill for a week! I tell you, that dragon's the most horrible animal I've ever met!" he paused and stared at his bloody hand. "But the way Hagrid goes on about it, you'd think it was a fluffy little bunny rabbit. When it bit me he told me off for frightening it. And when I left, he was singing it a lullaby."

There was a tap on the window. I jumped yet again.

"It's Hedwig!" said Harry "She'll have Charlie's answer!" The four of us put our heads together to read the note.

Dear Ron,

How are you? Thanks for the letter -- I'd be glad to take the Norwegian Ridgeback, but it won't be easy getting him here. I think the best thing will be to send him over with some friends of mine who are coming to visit me next week. Trouble is they mustn't be seen carrying an illegal dragon.

Could you get the Ridgeback up the tallest tower at midnight on Saturday. They can meet you there and take him away while it's still dark.
Send me an answer as soon as possible.
Love, Charlie

We looked at one another.

"I thought you couldn't just fly a broom into Hogwarts." I said thoughtfully. "I love feeling safe."

"We've got the invisibility cloak," said Harry, shrugging at me. "It shouldn't be too difficult – I think the cloak's big enough to cover four of us and Norbert." We all agreed. Anything to get rid of Norbert – and Malfoy.

There was a hitch. By the next morning, Ron's bitten hand had swollen to twice its usual size. He didn't know whether it was safe to go to Madam Pomfrey – would she recognize a dragon bite? By the afternoon, though, he had no choice. The cut had turned a nasty shade of green. It looked as if Norbert's fangs were poisonous.

We rushed up to the hospital wing at the end of the day to find Ron in a terrible state in bed.

"It's not just my hand," he whispered, "although that feels like it's about to fall off. Malfoy told Madam Pomfrey he wanted to borrow one of my books so he could come and have a good laugh at me. He kept threatening to tell her what really bit me – I've told her it was a dog, but I don't think she believes me – I shouldn't have hit him at the Quidditch match, that's why he's doing this."

Harry and Hermione tried to calm Ron down. I was still confused about what had happened with this hitting at the Quidditch match, but it didn't seem important in retrospect.

"It'll all be over at midnight on Saturday," said Hermione, but this didn't soothe Ron at all. On the contrary, he sat bolt upright and broke into a sweat.

"Midnight on Saturday!" he said in a hoarse voice. "Oh no oh no -- I've just remembered -- Charlie's letter was in that book Malfoy took, he's going to know we're getting rid of Norbert."