Chapter Twenty Six: Unexpected Visitors.

[Chapter Twenty Six: Unexpected Visitors. Edited.]

We faded into the background at dinner, and sat apart in the common room afterwards. We weren't disturbed by anyone the whole night; we were widely hated. Hermione was skimming through all her notes. I was flicking absent-mindedly through a book about Chess, it was a bore so I threw it at Ron. He turned back to me after ten minutes, "What the hell is this book? It's so like gloomy! Chess sacrifice? Come on! We all know that we have to sacrifice pieces every now and then."

Slowly, the room emptied as people drifted off to bed.

"Better get the cloak," Ron muttered, as Lee Jordan finally left, stretching and yawning. Harry ran upstairs for a moment and hopped back down to the common room.

"Good luck you two," Ron said softly "I hope you make it alright."

"What are you doing?" said a voice from the corner of the room, I jumped, giving me a weird déjà vu feeling. Neville appeared from behind an armchair, clutching Trevor the toad, who looked as though he'd been making another bid for freedom.

"Nothing, Neville, nothing," said Harry, hurriedly putting the cloak behind his back.

Neville stared at our guilty faces.

"You're going out again."

"No. We're not." My voice was too high-pitched. "We're... We're... I don't have an excuse. We're going out."

"No, no, no," said Hermione, giving me a wide-eyed look. "No, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville?"

"You can't go out," said Neville, "you'll be caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble."

"You don't understand," said Harry, "this is important." But Neville was clearly steeling himself to do something desperate.

"I won't let you do it," he said, hurrying to stand in front of the portrait hole. "I'll -- I'll fight you!"

"Neville, "Ron exploded, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot --"

"Don't you call me an idiot!" said Neville. "I don't think you should be breaking any more rules! And you were the one who told me to stand up to people!"

"Yes, but not to us," said Ron in exasperation. "Neville, you don't know what you're doing." He took a step forward and Neville dropped Trevor the toad, who leapt out of sight.

"Go on then, try and hit me!" said Neville, raising his fists. "I'm ready! Go on!" Neville took a swing at Harry.

Harry turned to Hermione, desperate, "Do something."

Hermione stepped forward. "Neville, I'm really, really sorry about this." She raised her wand."Petrificus Totalus!" she cried, pointing it at Neville.

Neville's arms and legs locked together. His whole body went rigid, he swayed where he stood and then fell flat on his back, stiff as a board. Neville's jaws were jammed together so he couldn't speak. Only his eyes were moving, looking at us in horror.

"What've you done to him?" Harry whispered.

"It's the full Body-Bind," said Hermione miserably. "Oh, Neville, I'm so sorry."

"We had to, Neville, no time to explain," Said Harry.

"You'll understand later, Neville," said Ron.

I scooted over and grabbed a pillow with my left hand. "If I can, Nev, I'll punch Voldemort in the face," I crouched and moved the pillow under his head. "In your honour, of course."