Chapter 8: Demands

Jayden Leywin

How did I end up like this? Art declared that we wanted to be adventurers and now my mom is trying to dissuade him.

"No! Absolutely no way! Do you know how dangerous it is to become an Adventurer? You've just gotten back after we all thought you were dead and now you're saying you want to go get yourself killed out there? No way! Absolutely not."

My mother was on the verge of tears while she said this. She had never been good at controlling her emotions. Eleanor was beside her, clutching onto her leg.

"Mama, don't be angry. Bruhder not a bad person! Uuu... Mama, don't cry."

Director Goodsky had left the manor after her announcement. Apparently, I fell to the ground and was knocked unconscious. Arthur told me what had happened after I was knocked out.

Man! I can't believe I'm going to become the pupil of such a strong mage. I can't wait to see the expression on Arthur's face the next time I beat him! I'm just focusing on improving the magic I already have before going to unlock new affinities.

Anyways, dad was a bit more rational. I could tell he didn't like the idea as well, but he couldn't really see any reason for me not to be an adventurer besides my age.

I wasn't going to debate with my mother. She was saying all of this because she was worried and I could never blame her for that. We had planned to tell her a bit before our birthday, but Director Goodsky messed up everything. (not that I'm mad)

After being silent the whole time, my father finally spoke up. "Honey, let's hear the boys out at least. I'm not saying I agree with them becoming an adventurer but don't you think we should at least listen to what they have to say?"

"How can you still say that after what happened that day!" my mother yelled, breaking down into a fit of sobs.

I looked to my father for answers, curious about what she was talking about, but he simply shook his head and comforted my mother.

It seemed like a good hour before she had calmed down enough for us to speak again.

I grabbed my mother's hands. "Mom. We weren't planning on leaving tomorrow. Arthur was looking forward to spending a few months at home with you guys."

She was still silent, but her face softened a little at that and I just gave her a warm smile, Sylvie followed suit and began licking her hand.

"What he meant by becoming an adventurer was so that we can get some experience. After being in the Elf Kingdom for three years, I'm sure he missed a lot about what he should know about this world of ours. Arthur and I just thought that becoming an adventurer would be the best way to gain some practical experience," I urged, not letting go of Mother's hands.

"I understand where you're coming from, Jayden. Although I was a bit older, I was also itching to get some real life experience in fighting as soon as I awakened as a mage," he reminisced. "But your mother is also right in that it is dangerous, and unpredictable."

My mother nodded her head vigorously at this.

I stayed silent for a little bit as I pondered.

"Dad. Mom. What if I were to have some sort of guard or supervisor with us? Would that make you feel a bit more at ease with this whole idea?" Arthur said suddenly.

"..."

"Hmm... You know, that's not a bad idea." I could almost see the gears in my father's head wind as he began thinking of potential candidates.

"B-but... I still won't be able to see you guys for three years! If almost losing one child wasn't enough, two of my children want to go into an unpredictable landscape where anything could happen!" My mother began to protest again.