Consequences

Deborah blinks her eyes, spending a couple seconds getting used to the bright light shining into them. She squints and sits up, feeling a wave of nausea wash over her body. She closes her eyes, giving herself a second to compose herself. Once she feels better, she stands up and looks around her.

"You've picked my flowers, and for that, you must answer one question to me." Deborah spins around looking for the loud voice that just spoke to her. That motion made her notice that all around her was completely white and glowing. Almost like she was in the clouds.

"Come now Deborah, you need to answer my question.", she spins around again, only making herself dizzy at the pointless attempts.

"I apologize, but I've never seen anything like this before"

"I know you haven't my child, but you must answer before you are trapped here forever.", Deborah tensed up at the thought of being trapped here forever. She composed herself again and turned to the brightest part of the area.

"I'm ready for your question."

"Good girl. Now, are you going to use the flowers wisely, and not waste them?", Deborah was puzzled by the question but also understands why this female voice would ask.

"Yes ma'am, they are to save my child's life. He is a good, strong, and respectful soul. He deserves a second chance at life.", once she answers, she stands there waiting and suddenly feels tired. She slips into a deep sleep. The voice speaks clearly as she drifts off.

"Very well my child, save the young lad, and protect him well."

            Deborah inhales deeply and the smell of the sunflowers fills her nose again. She rolls over to find Matthew laying next to her staring at the sky. She goes to push herself up off the ground when that wave of nausea hits her again. She waits for a second and places her hand on Matthew's shoulder. She feels him move under her hand, so she squeezes his shoulder. A way for her to tell him she is awake and can feel him. She stays like this and feels a hand touch hers. Deborah looks over and sees Matthew's hand on hers. Deborah sits up completely and pulls Matthew with her. She looks at him and notices that he is holding the flower in his hand, she looks at her hand and sees two flowers in her hand. She moves quickly and places her flowers in a light blue bag she brought with her, taking the one flower from Matthew as well.

Deborah stands back up and pulls Matthew around with her. She feels dizzy when she stands and can tell that Matthew feels the same way since when she pulled him up, he fell right back down onto the ground again, face first this time. She stifles a laugh but helps Matthew to stand back up anyways. After helping him get his footing again, she shifts into her kitsune and offers Matthew a ride. He shakes his head and shifts into his wolf form, stumbling around but can stand. After recovering, they set off back home in the same direction that they came from. Luckily, Matthew was smart enough to leave a scent trail for them to follow so they could return with no delays. They ran as fast as their bodies could, but they could feel a certain weakness in them. However, even though they felt tired, they push on and make it back by sundown.

            Deborah and Matthew arrive back home, and shift into their half forms, with almost no energy left. Deborah was still able to move, but Matthew was out. This surprised her, but she pushed anyways and walked into the cabin to turn the flowers into what the kids needed. After about fifteen minutes, Matthew finally came stumbling into the house, looking very rough. She was surprised by his behavior. 'Why is he so tired?'. She let her thoughts run wild as she watched out the window as the light disappeared out of sight, leaving them in darkness.

Deborah worked fast to create the flowers into band-aids to place on the kids' injuries, hoping this helps. After some time, she had the band-aids ready to go. She motioned to Matthew, who was sprawled out across the couch, unmoving, but watching her. He nods and pushes himself to his feet but sits back down almost immediately. Deborah watched as the man takes some deep breaths, trying his hardest to not let something happen.