Part Eight

30th of September, 1970: The day my child was born.

Paul grabbed my hand and directed me to the hospital reception. The receptionist smirked at Paul's expression; he looked more panic stricken than I did, and I was the one in Labour!

"Kathy has gone into labour. She needs a bed and a midwife, quickly!" Paul absent mindedly tapped his foot in urgency

"Ok, don't worry about it!" the receptionist called for my midwife, Alissa, as I stood there in unbelievable pain.

The contractions were getting stronger and stronger, I was desperate to give up as the pushing was such hard, laborious work!

"It's okay darlin', erm, just keep going." Paul wanted to help but he didn't know what to do. There was nothing for him to do, apart from hold my hand. 

I gritted my teeth, hurry up all ready! I was in labour for sixteen hours.

Miraculously, the baby finally arrived! "Congratulations! You have a daughter," Alissa's eyes lit up, "She is a double of her father!"

I was longing to hold her, I held my arms out and Alissa gently laid her into my arms. I looked down at her and she was most positively angelic! Her head was covered with light, fluffy hair and her cheeks were pink and rosy! As for her eyes, they were identical to her fathers,  except from the fact that her eyes were blue. You could tell that she was going to have her dad's eyebrows too, as that were very prominent! 

Her thick eyelashes batted as she looked at my with her dazzling doe eyes! 

Paul leaned over my shoulder and softly touched her hair. I looked at Paul and his eyes were sparkling with tears! He was overwhelmed with joy, as was I.

"What shall we call her?" Paul asked.

"I like the name Poppy?" I thought it suited her perfectly.

Paul smiled, "Poppy it is then."