Part Nine

June, 1971

We now live in Peasmarsh, East Sussex. We had a glorious home, that was much better than Cavendish as it was surrounded by acres of lush, green land! It was an ideal place to raise a family. Poppy was nine months old and she could almost walk, she would stumble around the house and wreck the place, she was definitely a live-wire.

Over the past nine moths,we had been tremendously busy! Paul started a new music career and formed a band called 'Wings', he was also doing a lot of song writing for other musicians. Meanwhile, the other Beatles were started their own families and got on with their lives. We had frequent visits from George and occasionally Ringo would drop by too, but we hadn't seen John since  that terrible incident.

Since we were so busy, we hadn't gotten married straight away. However, we did manage to set a date, which was the 19th of August, 1971.

It was a glorious summer morning, I decided to paint a large mural in the front room. It was a slightly psychedelic painting which featured my appaloosa, Dusty, riding in the wind. I loved painting, I started to get back into selling my art.

Poppy was getting more and more magnificent each day. She had a mop of sandy coloured hair and she would charm everyone with her wide set eyes.

She adored Paul and when she spotted him, she tottered towards him and babbled with joy. Paul scooped her up and put her on his shoulders, Poppy squealed in delight and she pulled his hair. "Haha, ouch! You're tearing my hair out!"

The commotion came to a halt when Paul heard a faint knocking on the front door.  

A long haired man with rounded granny glasses stood before him baring a sheepish smile. 

Paul was certainly bewildered, "John, what do you want?" 

John replied, "I want to be friends with you again. I want to reconcile all of the terrible things that has happened over the past few years, especially all the damage that I have caused for you and your family." Johns eyes became teary and filled with sadness. 

Paul also had an overwhelming feeling of sadness due to the fact that their brotherly friendship had faded during a tough couple of years, "John, I completely agree with you. I forgive you and I hope you forgive me for acting like a complete shit at times," he half smiled, "you are my best friend John and I would kick myself if we didn't have a fresh start." 

The two men proceeded to hug, the heart felt embrace was with filled with utter sincerity. They had known eachother for fifteen years and throughout that time they had transformed their lives and no one else would understand what they shared.

I looked at them from a far and admired their bond, John caught me gazing and ushered me to join them. I joined them and John whispered in my ear, "Sorry love..for everything." I couldn't help but feel sorry for John as I knew deep down that he was a vulnerable person who needed love and acceptance from others.

John stayed round our house the whole day and he got to know Poppy. She took a liking to him without hesitation and followed him around all afternoon! It was perfect.