Chapter 1

October 15, 1820

The carriage came to a stop.

She hadn't breathed normally the entire ride. Her heart was ready to leap out of her chest, jumping into her throat with each bump over the uneven road. The lack of movement made her aware of how tight her grip on her skirt was.

Slowly, she lifted her head to behold the large three-story house outside, with beautiful vines crawling over it. It was a home fit for royalty. The blonde across from her certainly looked like a princess, hair curled perfectly and wearing a dress that must have been worth a fortune. Then again, vampires could afford anything if they compelled themselves enough money or, simply, compelled themselves ownership of their heart's deepest desires.

"Here we are," said the blonde, waiting for the coachman to open the door for them. When he did, she accepted his hand to help her off. "We've arrived."

The brunette slowly followed her out, peeking ahead at the house they'd stopped in front of. She knew the blonde who brought her here was wealthy, but not this wealthy.

"Come in," urged the blonde, leading her into the parlor. "Make yourself comfortable."

She sat herself down, carefully smoothing her skirt over her legs, sitting up straight in the hopes of making a good first impression.

The blonde returned followed by two men. "Elijah, Nik," said Rebekah, gesturing to the woman, "this is Yara."

She stood, curtsying politely. "Good afternoon. It's a pleasure to meet you."

The one called Nik didn't reach out to greet her. "She's a vampire."

"Yes," said Yara before Rebekah could answer. "I'm told Originals can compel those of us who are not part of your family. I would willingly submit to it if you would like me to, for extra protection."

Elijah seemed impressed. "Well, Niklaus," he told his brother, "we will leave you to it." He ushered Rebekah away, knowing that they needed no further convincing that this woman was suitable for the job she was applying for.

It had been Rebekah's idea, after all, that Klaus should hire a governess to teach Marcel to read, write, and play various instruments. He would, she said, need a maternal figure for comfort.

She'd met the brunette by chance, inquiring about purchasing a dress far out of her budget. Rebekah noted she hadn't even attempted to use compulsion to acquire it for herself. She'd told the saleswoman that she would return when she had enough money for it.

She sat with her, listened to her story. And she knew right away that young Marcel would find himself connecting with this woman, born much under the same circumstances that he'd been. A man imposing his power on an innocent woman, fathering a bastard child who would never have anything to their name. Poverty and slavery had killed this woman. What saved her was the vampire blood in her system.

Within the first minute of meeting Niklaus Mikaelson, she knew he wasn't a trusting man. Rebekah had given her a brief explanation on the way there, informing her that her brother struggled with opening up to people.

It all but assured that she would fight to obtain this job. Not only because she needed an honest way to earn money (and something worthwhile to do on a daily basis), but because she wanted to be there to comfort and aid others who'd grown up much like her. While Marcel was to be her main concern, she realized that Niklaus wouldn't have adopted him if he hadn't seen something of himself in the boy. Though he was far older than her, she came to understand that his inner child had sustained quite a bit of damage. Perhaps it would be useful for him to have a confidant, a friend, someone he could complain to, freely.