Chapter 26

Rebekah was finally found.

A month and a half after Klaus acquired half of the coordinates from Aurora and paired them with a discovery made by Elijah regarding the vessel used to transport her body, her exact location had been discovered.

Elijah excitedly went to retrieve her around Christmas. Yara was able to happily prepare the house, having welcomed back Kol, Cami, and Hope shortly after Tristan hid Aurora away and Marcel confirmed she wasn't going to be causing problems anytime soon.

"It'll be a Christmas unlike any before!" chirped Yara, having thoroughly cleaned Rebekah's room and assembled a magnificent tree in the ballroom just for her. "Josh and Aiden will be here, and Hayley and Jackson, Gia, Cami, your siblings, maybe Davina and Marcel if they start responding to texts!"

"You know as well as I that Davina is the least likely to show up."

"I can dream!"

"And Marcel committed a great betrayal in helping The Strix free Tristan."

"He didn't have a choice, okay? This is why I didn't want him there in the first place. We accept what happens, we know he's no traitor and he's trying to help us. Would you rather they kill him for not helping?! No one died. He saved Freya. He prevented the use of that cursed stake Elijah showed us. Please, Klaus, take it easy on him."

He scowled. "I hate Tristan de Martel."

"So do I."

"That will be my wish at the bonfire. For him to die a slow and painful death."

Yara smirked. "And here I was, planning to wish for another meteor shower sometime around the new year."

He blushed. "Why would you wish for that?" He knew the answer, but he wanted her to say it.

"Because," she said, smoothing her hands over his chest, "I was recalling that time we had a few too many during an astronomical event and fell asleep tangled in blankets under the telescope. It's been nice to cuddle again."

He pecked her on the lips. "We don't need a meteor shower to do that. Perhaps tonight after the party you'd like to come to my room? We could lay together until you fall asleep."

"That sounds perfect."

"HELP!"

"Oh you've got to be bloody joking," said Klaus at the sound of Jackson's voice.

Yara grew alarmed when she saw him dragging a body in. "Oh my god— Freya!"

Jackson laid her on the couch, followed closely by Hayley. "She got jumped," said Jackson, propping Freya up as she struggled to stay awake, eyelids fluttering. "Three vampires, all dressed like yuppies."

"It was The Strix," assumed Hayley. "They took something from her, this medallion thing?"

"The Serratura," rasped Freya as Yara bit into her wrist and coaxed her to drink. "I was meeting with a witch from the bloodline who built the lock. I was hoping she could help me destroy it, but it's not possible. She said the only way to get rid of it is to use it. We have to get it back and lock something else away. Anything but my family."

"Well, I'm not sure how we're going to get that back from Tristan," murmured Yara.

"I'm afraid we have a far more urgent problem."

Elijah walked in, followed by Rebekah in her Original body, who smiled, "Well, to be fair, I am the prettiest urgent problem you have ever seen."

It concerned Yara that there was anything problematic about Rebekah when she'd only just come back.