Morai, Champion of Alola

"Ha! Morai is no Champion," Morai scoffed, sitting up and resting her handcuffed hands on her knees. "That's a title I lost when I injected myself with—"

"No, no, but you are still Champion of Alola, dear," Lusamine said. "No one took your place. You are still in the records as the first Champion of Alola who has yet to be defeated."

"I went missing for months and no plans were made for my replacement?" Morai asked in disbelief, finding her mask beside her on the ground and silently lamenting at its broken strap. 

"You gave the title back to Iris in Unova, Diantha in Kalos, and Steven in Hoenn, but you left Alola out," Sheridan explained. "Seeing as how the Alolan Pokémon League is fairly new, no one there was quite sure how to proceed with replacing you. The Professor, Kukui, took your place, but he's only been an informal stand-in."

Morai perked up. 

"So, that means..."

Sheridan sighed and nodded her head reluctantly. 

"You, Morai, are still the Champion of Alola, and to defend your title against this young man..."

"I have to be at the Alolan Pokémon League!" she said, jumping to her feet, her eyes turning red with excitement. The guards straightened up in anticipation. "He has to battle the Elite Four before battling me in the Champion's chamber!" 

"Of course, you could just...give him the title—or anyone else, for that matter. Arceus knows that they'd make a better Champion than y—." 

Morai cut Arthur off. 

"I made a pretty damn good Champion, thank you very much, evidenced by the fact that I had the title in four regions and went undefeated after earning each one," she said, again trying to cross her arms. "I'll successfully defend my title at the summit of Lanakila."

"Are you sure you're not just trying to get out of here?" Sheridan asked. "Like you said, you abandoned your Champion duties when you took that serum and continued to neglect them." 

"Even if that is the case," Morai replied, a growing smile on her face, "I still have the right to defend my title and defend it in Alola...if we're not already there."

Morai eyed the head of staff, but she refused to confirm or deny her guess. 

"You're the International Police and she's incarcerated and unable to fulfill her duties!" Pollie exclaimed. "Can't you just make her hand it over to someone else?"

"Why don't you come and take it, Pollie?" Morai taunted with a smile, taking comically exaggerated steps forward before being held back. Pollie held her gun up in the same threatening manner. 

"If you win, you get my title. If I win, I get your bl—"

"Morai!" Sheridan warned. "This a matter that needs to be discussed and decided in private. We'll have a meeting and reach out to some of the authorities in Alola. Meanwhile, Morai...please keep yourself out of trouble."

"I can't make promises," Morai returned with a grin. Most of the group went inside, leaving Morai alone with Gladion, Lillie, Hau, Maria, and Pollie as well as a few guards. 

"You should go," Morai said with a more serious tone, looking at Maria. 

"You keep saying that, but—"

Morai walked over to her in one big stride, looming over her and baring her teeth. Pollie got there just as quickly, stepping between the two of them and pointing her weapon up at Morai. 

"Back off," she warned. 

"No, wait," Maria stammered. "She's only—"

Without another word, Maria began to walk inside. Pollie looked at her in confusion before turning back to see Morai's red eyes. She pointed her weapon back at her, stepping forward with the intention to shoot. Morai put her chained hands up.