We All Must Save Ourselves

"Dang it!" the Depot Agent exclaimed, calling his fainted Pokémon back with a frown. "So close, too."

"No it wasn't," Rufus laughed from the sidelines. 

"Once again, Ingo and Emmet are set to battle each other for the top spot this week," the scorekeeper announced somewhat unenthusiastically. 

"We offer to stay out and observe every time," Emmet added as he walked to his spot on the battlefield. 

"It's no fun that way, sir!" the agent that had just lost explained. "We're all trying to beat the both of you and we won't get there if we don't battle you."

Every week, the entirety of the off-duty Battle Subway staff held a tournament amongst themselves. The prize was always the same, with the winner receiving a gift card to what happened to be everyone's favorite restaurant in Castelia that was paid for by all of the tournament participants. It was a longstanding tradition, but a problem had quickly arose. Ingo and Emmet, the rightful bosses of the Battle Subway, always ended up at the top and they always tied. Everyone had mostly forgotten about the gift card, which was never taken, gathering each week instead to socialize and try to change the repeated outcome. The Depot Agents loved their bosses, but they all wanted to beat them in battle or watch one of their coworkers do it. 

"Heads or tails?" the designated announcer asked. 

"Heads," Ingo said. 

"Tails," Emmet said at the same time. They both eyed each other for a moment before the man flipped the coin and looked at what landed on his palm. 

"Single battle!" he announced. 

"Shoot," Emmet muttered under his breath. He and his brother tied more often than not, but he simply enjoyed double battles anyway. 

As their battle commenced, the door to the large room opened and two figures slipped in. 

"This is the Battle Subway, huh?" Nanu asked as he looked around, his voice almost drowned out by the sounds of commands and cries of Pokémon and their attacks. 

"Only one like it," Arthur replied. "The pinnacle of battling in Unova, or so I've heard. Even Morai talked highly of it. I've heard her recount story after story from the place. She really liked it."

The two of them stuck out like sore thumbs. Arthur was dressed in jeans, a cotton tee tucked sloppily into his pants, and boots. Nanu simply wore his usual outfit, sans the police overcoat. 

"Can we help you, gentlemen?" one of the Depot Agents asked. "This area is usually off limits."

"International Police," Arthur said, pulling out his badge. Nanu scoffed. He noticed the agent eyeing the Z amulet hanging around his neck. 

"Oh, right...is it urgent?" he asked. 

"We can wait a minute," Arthur replied, taking a seat at the edge of one of the benches that had been set up. Ingo, who was on the side closest to the door, noticed them both but continued his battle. Even after all of this time their battles were still as energetic as ever, as though each one was their first. Still, it seemed as though this one was heading to the same fate as all the others. He and his brother were both down to one Pokémon and it was his Haxorus against his brother's. 

"What a shame!" Emmet called from across the room. "Another tie in the making, two pairs of brothers pitted against each other!"

"I'm older!" Ingo shouted back, adjusting his hat. "I have a slight edge!"

"Minutes of wisdom I'll never make up!" Emmet joked. The two Haxorus had interlocked their blade-like tusks, each one trying to gain leverage over the other. After they separated, Ingo called for his to use Dragon Dance, hoping to gain enough of an advantage to beat his brother. The other Haxorus used Dragon claw, but it wasn't quite enough to knock its opponent out.