Just Keep Running

"—do this forever," a muffled voice finished saying. "I just can't see her reintegrating into society."

"There will be obstacles to overcome, yes, but it's not entirely her fault," Sheridan argued. "I just need more time to prepare her."

"It was hardly three months ago that she tried to escape in Alola, causing a massive avalanche that is still being recovered from," someone else said. "When was the last attack here?"

There was silence. 

"How would you define attack?" the warden asked. 

"Aggressive behavior that results in an attempt to harm someone, successfully or not," the voice answered, as if the answer was obvious. It sounded like the woman who had shown disdain at Morai's appearance earlier in the evening. "Please answer honestly."

"Morai hasn't attacked anyone for nearly two months."

"Is that so? Would the data found in the chip corroborate this?"

Morai felt her heart skip a beat. What had been dismissed as her paranoia had just been confirmed. 

"Well...There was a bit of a slip-up earlier today, but it—"

"Today?" a few voices said in unison. 

"Progress has been made," Sheridan argued. "I swear it. Her old self is beginning to shine through, it just takes time."

"How much time? After the holidays, it'll be a year since her arrest."

"Well, there's no clear way of knowing," the warden answered. "We're hoping to create something that counteracts the effects of the serum Team Rocket created, but that also takes time and research."

"Speaking of Team Rocket," another voice said. "Who's to say they won't just grab her up again and continue with their plans? They've been trying to get to her for a while now. She's an unfinished project. There's no telling what they'll do with that kind of power."

"Mrs. Sheridan, we'd like to put a plan forth that we believe is the best solution to this problem. Instead of spending so much time, effort, and money trying to make Morai...normal...again, we feel it may be best to use her strengths and abilities to our advantage." 

"...What are you saying?" Sheridan asked. "Are you suggesting that we use her just like Team Rocket was going to? Weaponize a human being? Do you remember who she was before they ruined her?"

"Emphasis on the was. Morai is no longer the Champion we all used to love. Sheridan, you've done a wonderful job, but we're dealing with a whole new problem here where every plausible solution is frankly less than desirable. Just think of all the things we could accomplish with her abilities, specific abilities that, before now, haven't been seen in a human. Our biggest problem right now is Team Rocket. They've already created the weapon. All we have to do is turn around and use it on them."

"Morai would never agree to that," Sheridan flatly replied. 

"We already have her in our custody. With the various methods of control that have already been developed, I'm sure she'll find the wisdom to comply sooner or later. She is a criminal guilty of many crimes, crimes that evidently continue to be committed during her stay here. This is simply the price that must be paid for them, and Team Rocket will pay for ruining her soul when their creation is the reason for their downfall. Morai will continue to serve for the betterment of the world, just like she did before. Unless you have any further arguments, we will move forward with this plan." 

Morai backed away from the door, nearly tripping and falling down the stairs. She took the hypnotized guard's gun, collected darts from the others, and swung herself over the railing. She lost control of the guard in her rush to escape, but she didn't care. She ran as fast as she could. She could hear her heartbeat and feel it pound in her ears. She used foresight to dodge shots, taking out guards with both their own weapons and her own abilities.