Deprivation

"What's the status on Morai?" Giovanni asked. After their attack and attempted capture of Morai, Team Rocket had retreated to their home bases in Kanto and Johto, lying low and gathering information before making any more moves. 

"The last anyone has heard was that she was placed in solitary confinement and threatening to rip everyone apart," Petrel answered. "That serum still has a death grip on her, as you were hoping for."

"One thing no one here tested was how long she could go without blood and what it would do to her. They're conducting that experiment for us," Archer added with a frown that was hidden in the dim room. 

"As long as they don't break her," Giovanni sighed, swirling the glass in his hand. "We can't have anyone breaking our weapon."

Archer and Proton gave each other troubled glances. Although they had tried to forget the attachments they had developed to Morai, they still had hoped that they'd be successful in taking their old friend back from the International Police in Alola. They were the reason she was there, after all.

A few days had passed since Morai had been confined to a small cell and taken to the medical wing after biting her own arm to try and quench her thirst for blood. The dark room allowed for endless visions and daydreams of how she might come out on top of this battle, but it seemed Sheridan was winning. Each agonizing day passed torturously slow, and all Morai had to fill the time was thinking and trying to sleep. There was no way to tell the time, and the days might as well have been one long, painful and drawn out day. The prisoner eventually began to break. Even Past Morai, who had vowed not to speak to her, eventually held her as she lay listlessly on the ground of the garden's center, staring ahead at nothing in particular. She was pretty sure that Morai had even shed a tear or two amidst what had become her otherwise zombie-like demeanor. In the real world, her silent agony became loud as she helplessly roared at the one who was to blame for her state. Screams turned into pleas, but there was only silence in return either way. If the odd nurse or guard came too close, she snapped at them in hopes of even a drop of blood. 

Finally, the figure of the warden appeared in the doorway. She brightened the lights a bit to reveal Morai staring silently at the wall ahead, her mouth hanging slightly agape. 

"Morai," she said, drawing closer to the prisoner and eventually waving her hand in front of her face. Morai slowly blinked her eyes and looked at Sheridan as she undid the straps confining her limbs to the bed. 

"I brought some water," she said, handing it to Morai, who looked curiously at the glass before setting it down on the table beside her. She was forlorn with a deathly look, her eyes barely open. "Your time in this room is done. It's nearly time for breakfast." 

Morai waved her off with her now free hands and turned to her side, something she hadn't been able to do for days. She pulled the covers up over her scrunched shoulders. 

"Did you hear me?" Sheridan said. "You're free to leave."

The prisoner didn't answer, leading the warden to circle around and pull the covers off of her. 

"Get up and get cleaned up. That's an order." 

It was the opportunity to shower and put on a fresh uniform that got Morai out of bed. After she was taken back to her room and was able to freshen up, she took a step toward the dining hall. 

"Not yet," the guard said, taking her by the arm and leading her in the other direction. 

"Where are we going?" Morai asked with a frown as they walked. She didn't fight back. She barely had the energy to walk, as nearly all of it was put towards not attacking anyone on sight to satisfy her unbearable thirst for blood.