Not Our Champion

"Mount Lanakila might just melt with all of the people gathered here today, Liza!" a reporter enthusiastically shouted at the camera. "But of course, tensions are rising as our current Champion is expected to arrive any minute. Just about everyone gathered here today is here in protest."

"I don't care who she was!" a lady angrily spat into the microphone, holding a sign that had an X painted over a depiction of Morai's mask. "She abandoned us, and whoever replaced her certainly isn't our Champion!"

"We don't need a bloodthirsty criminal sitting in that chair," another man said. 

"She was rotting in prison where she belongs!" another said. "She should've stayed there and handed the title to someone else! Like one of Lusamine's kids! Heck, I'd even take Guzma!"

"Speaking of Gladion," the reporter continued, "The promising young man vying for the Champion's title has decided to be the last challenger in the line of notable trainers trying to take the title away from The Mask Maker's cold, evil hands! Trainers such as the former Team Skull Leader Guzma, Kahuna Hala's grandson Hau, and even Professor Kukui have taken it upon themselves to clear the dark cloud looming over our region and bring pride back to our name. The Professor had this to say:"

"I was the one to hand her her starting Pokémon and watched as she made it all the way to this very peak and battled me to become our very first Champion. I'm very sad to say that I'm trying to reverse that fateful event today," Kukui said. 

"I visited our formerly beloved Champion in prison not too long ago. I believe that stripping her of the title is essential to her healing. If it becomes necessary for me to be the one to do it, I'll certainly try my best," Lusamine added. 

"Well, it certainly seems like—oh, wait! There she is now!" the reporter exclaimed, ushering the camera to point at the group of police agents filling the area and urging people to step back and turn their phone cameras off. 

"I'll go over the rules one more time," Sheridan said as they rode the lift up to the high mountainside. "You are not to speak to anyone, especially anyone with a camera, unless they're a challenger. You're going to battle everyone who wishes to take your title then take your leave, however long that takes. Don't get too close to anyone or let anyone get too close to you...and Morai...should you try to run, you will get caught, and the consequences will be severe. Am I understood?"

"Of course, Mrs. Sheridan," Morai answered with a crafty smile. "Though you're certainly taking the fun out of it." 

As the lift became level with the peak, Morai was met with roars of scornful shouts and waving of signs, but she didn't mind at all. 

They can spit their venom from a safe distance while I'm handcuffed and seemingly powerless, she thought. But when I'm on the loose most of them will be cowering, locked away in their homes. 

"Hello, everyone!" she cheerfully greeted with her wide, unnerving smile. "Where was all this hatred a year ago, when I was still The Mask Maker who wore the face of your beloved Champion as well?"

Sheridan nudged her in the back. 

"You're going to incite arguments that escalate," she whispered. "Stop it."

"That was before you became a monster!" someone shouted. "You're not our Champion!"

"Oh? And what if I were to tell you that—"

"Am I going to have to tape your mouth shut in front of all these people? Either hold your tongue or get carried through those doors unconscious. It's your choice, Champion," Sheridan spat through clenched teeth.