The Restaurant

"Good morning, Pollie," Sheridan greeted. She was standing in front of her desk in her usual olive green blazer and skirt, hands clasped in front of her. 

"Good morning, Mrs. Sheridan," Pollie nodded. She stepped nervously into the warden's office, her bandaged hand hanging at her side. 

"As you're aware, you were recently given the opportunity to become a guard here while furthering your training to become a full-fledged agent in the field. As you're also aware, things got quite out of hand...literally. Team Rocket drew the rest us into a fight, leaving you to capture the fugitive alone. You succeeded at first, but she got away."

The corners of Pollie's mouth turned as she looked down. She had failed.

"After speaking with the other members of the task force and those involved on the day of your test...I concluded that you are capable of handling the job. Congratulations Pollie, you are now a guard of...this unnamed prison, and your sole duty is keeping inmate 001 in line. Keep working and training and you'll make it out into the field."

"But...I failed," Pollie said, surprised. 

"No one is completely equipped to handle...Morai," Sheridan answered. "But you did well given that her attempt at escape was put entirely on your shoulders while we were occupied. Had you not stopped her, she would've been as free as a Pikipek."

Sheridan handed the new guard her official name tag and gun with an almost motherly smile. 

"I was thinking..." Pollie said, "that we should make some Morai-specific adjustments to the uniforms...and weapons."

"Already setting out to make changes, I see," the chief laughed, gathering her things and heading for the door. "Come by later and we'll talk. Right now I've got a doctor to visit. Take as much time as you need to let your hand heal."

"Actually, I was thinking about checking in on...inmate 001...now. My hand is healing just fine, and I think the risk is minimal."

Sheridan's smile turned into a frown. She walked back to Pollie, who was confused at the gesture. 

"There is one thing I must warn you, about," she said. "Holding grudges is a deadly game. If your work is centered around getting revenge, you will never be satisfied. You're a guard, not a harbinger of personal justice. If you hit her to settle a score, she'll only find a way to hit back harder and it will end in eventual bloodshed from you both. You have one job. Is that understood?"

"Y-yes, Mrs. Sheridan," the new guard stammered. 

"Good. Now, I'm sure she's hungry for her first good meal since arriving back here. Take a nurse with you to check up on her physical condition."

Pollie, in her new official uniform, stepped through the door with a confident smile, an Aether employee following behind her. 

"Morai," she said, plate in hand, "It's time for—holy Miltank..."

The guard stopped in her tracks, holding her other arm out to keep the employee from walking any further. Morai was on the ground, slumped against the end of the bed, her chest heaving under her own uniform. She had managed to claw and pull until she got the strange contraption off of her head. Her mouth hung open, saliva dripping onto the ground, and her red eyes were the most visible thing in the dark room. 

"Step outside," Pollie whispered to the other employee. It felt good to say it as she took her gun from its holster. "I'll take care of this."

But the Aether employee didn't leave. 

"Morai," Pollie warned. "Let her go."

"Oh, I'm not hypnotized," the employee replied in a voice that sounded just like her normal one. "I just don't want to leave you alone to deal with...her."