An Astronomer's Notes

"Make sure to tilt your head a little to the side when peering through this particular telescope," the professor spoke. "I think you've got it, and don't worry. I won't be long, and make sure to observe as much you can before I get back."

The professor smiled at the sight of his student acquainting herself with the newly donated telescope from the college's department. He fought long and hard to get a decently advanced telescope, but there were only so many letters he was willing to write to the department chair. One would think him mad if they saw how just how much paper he wasted in an age where everything was so technologically advanced. Society advanced, but the professor was more adamant in keeping the art of writing "alive". His desk was marked with numerous ink stains, yet the messiness of writing was only overshadowed by his extensive calligraphy pen collection which he took much pride in. Glancing from his student to the view of the twinkling night sky above them, he fixed his coat then began to walk away with a faint smile. He knew his student was too fixated on her observation to hear him, but he wasn't mad, because he too would have done the same in her position.

"Professor, do you suppose Venus will be as bright as she is tonight when the planets align next week?" the student asked. Her eyes were glued to the tiny, yellowish spectacle through the clear lens of the telescope. "Professor?"

The student was forced to look away from Venus after her question was greeted with silence. Realizing that her professor had gone to run an errand, she felt a bit guilty at not saying goodbye, but she knew he would understand. After all, they were studying Venus, of course. She knew her professor would have done the same.

Returning her attention back to the planet, she began to write down her own notes of observation in her worn down notebook. The young student did not need to look at the page while writing as she had simultaneously observed a variety of stars and taken a plethora of notes too many times before that the practice had become second nature to her.

- Bright spot is more C-shaped tonight... perhaps Y-shaped?
- Little to no clouds obscuring the view tonight
- Glowing brightly as ever

Some of her notes were very surface level in terms of description, but she knew the little things mattered. The little details of the night sky down to whether a particular star had been shining a little less brightly mattered. Everything mattered in the world of astronomy, and to the student, she deemed it as a fitting reminder for just how inconsequential humanity was in comparison to the vastness of the unexplored parts of the universe. Venus, in particular, fascinated her the most. The planet and its name were both very alluring, and the girl found her affinity for the planet a bit ironic as the planet was the so-called celestial embodiment of love...as some people liked to put it.

Stargazing was an extremely enjoyable hobby for the student, and after of few months into her apprenticeship, she had only grown to love the activity even more. Though, there were nights when the girl wished she had someone to share it with, and the amount of loneliness she felt would linger a little too long for her liking. Yes, she had her professor by her side, but it wasn't the same. She viewed the professor as more of a fatherly presence and figure in her life, and while the student did appreciate his company, she longed for something more romantic. How ironic was it, to be completely enamored with the stars, especially the "planet of love" to only not have a love of her own? The student realized that the reason for her fascination with Venus was rooted in something other than the allure of Venus's storms or mesmerizing color. Perhaps, the reason for her fascination was because the act of studying Venus was her own way of symbolically chasing after love, since she was incapable of finding her own here on planet Earth.

The student's vision gradually became blurry, and thinking it was due to the humidity in the room, she grabbed a microfiber cloth and wiped the lens of the telescope clean. Still blurry. It was only until the student felt a tear drop roll down from her cheek to her chin and on to her notes that she realized she was crying. Quickly composing herself, the student used her free arm to wipe her face dry with her blue sleeve. Again, she returned her attention to the brightly shining planet and continued jotting down notes. Her professor could not see herself in this position at all...just imagine how unprofessional he would think she is?

Looking through the telescope, the student pulled back in awe. Venus was shining extra brightly tonight, and the planet's bright spot was clearly visible and on display for the student to observe. It was almost as if Venus was comforting her through the lens and saying "hello" at the same time.

The student would spend the rest of her night waiting for her professor to come back, but in the meantime, the amount of writing and observing she would accomplish would have been worth it. Studying the planet once more, the student bittersweetly smiled.

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.