She'll Be the Death of Me

A/N: Hi guys! I'm sorry this chapter took a while, I'm busy with IRL and I've been trying to catch up on my other series and my event 😅! But we're now halfway through the series, and I hope you all enjoy this chapter and the series so far! This chapter is sweet, flirty, and ends in a cliffhanger which I'll expand on more in the next chapter, think of it as more of a taste on what happens because there's a lot of missing scenes towards the end that'll be explained in chapter 11 😆!

———

William softly sighed as he stood on the roof of their temporary base at the border of the Diamond Kingdom and Clover Kingdom. Lord Julius had discovered another dungeon near the border and wanted his squads to investigate it before the Diamond Kingdom did, William had chuckled softly when he first heard about the mission as it had reminded him of one of the first missions he had ever sent Yuno on.

But this time it was a bit more serious.

They had received word that Diamond would be sending a small army, along with a couple of their Shining Generals, so Julius decided to be rather safe than sorry and sent both the Golden Dawn and the Black Bulls. The mission was only supposed to last a week but unfortunately took longer due to the dungeon seeming to appear than disappear.

William had called Zera using the communication device and explained the situation to her. She had said very few words but wished him luck and told him to be safe, which made his heart skip a beat, before telling him she would see him when he got back.

That was the first and last he had heard from her.

William had been worried that maybe he had said or did something wrong, or that maybe she was just busy and couldn't talk, but something was amiss with her.

" So this is where you escaped too huh?" Yami said as he approached him, William turned slightly to face him. " And here I thought I was the only one trying to get away from all the brats."

" I wouldn't say I'm trying to escape, it's more like I'm taking a small break from my Captain's duty." William said with a chuckle, which caused Yami to laugh as well.

The slightly older man pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his back pocket before he opened it, pulled one out, and placed it into his mouth.

" What's up? You've been quiet for a while." Yami asked as he glanced over at Wiliam, the younger man turned slightly before he shook his head.

" It's nothing."

" Really? 'Cause you coulda fooled me. Is it the mission? Or something personal?" Yami asked curiously. He wasn't usually one to pry into someone else's business, but this mission was important, and if Vangeance's head wasn't in the game then Yami needed to know.

" It's...personal." William admitted softly as he stared out at the sunset, Yami took a drag of his cigarette before exhaling the smoke.

" Let me guess; it has to do with that new wife of yours?"

" Zera isn't my wife yet...but yes it has to do with her." William admitted softly.

" I think she's beginning to get cold feet and I don't know what to do. I've really grown to like and care about her over the past few weeks and...I want her to know just how much without overwhelming and scaring her." William said as he tilted his head in thought.

Yami looked at him in surprise, this was the first time he had ever heard Vangeance say he liked someone, and Yami didn't even need to use his Ki to see that he was dead serious. The small smile on his face, the way his eyes lit up as he spoke or thought about her, and the way he would mutter to himself about much she would like this or that. It was beyond obvious that he was in love.