A twin brother

I woke up to a forceful banging on the door. My head shot up in seconds. I checked my watch. 7:30. School. I rushed out of bed and opened the door.

"Dakota? You were not even ready for school. We have half an hour." I shut the door on Toby's face, not responding to him. I knew I was and I didn't need his opinion. I lay clothes out before, I groggily hopped into the shower. It was hard to believe my new year resolution was to wake up on time for school.

I needed to have a five-minute shower and five minutes of changing. Then I would be ready. Breakfast was out of the question, I wouldn't have enough time. I would maybe have to go grab something from the kitchen or buy a doughnut from the cafe close to our house.

I got to work and started my shower. I grabbed my toothbrush from the side and forced it into my mouth. An alkaline flavour of toothpaste filled my mouth with sourness. I was in such a rush that I almost fell on my back while I got out of the shower. I wrapped a burgundy towel around my naked body.

I check the time. Six minutes. I rapidly changed into my clothes, taking four minutes. I dried my hair with a towel before sliding down the banister of the stairs, to a disgruntled Toby. He gave me a small grin as I picked up my bag and a chocolate croissant. "Aren't you going to dry your hair?" He asked. I shook my head.

I was ready at 7:45 which gave me and Toby enough time to walk which seem to be good enough for him that he was back to his calm state. Lyall wasn't joining because he wanted to ensure that Lorelei was brought to school safely. She never lived here before she was kidnapped so she was very nervous. Also to help her walk. Turns out the ramification of her leg injury was having to reteach herself how to walk with the help of Lyall.

"Dakota, I'm worried for Lyall," Toby said. I was knocked out of my thoughts by the sound of his voice. "Lorelei is stressing him out too much."

"Me too but he doesn't want to accept the help we give him," I said and went on explaining how I tried to help him feed her.

"I think Lorelei will be fine by herself. I think it's that she needs space. If I had gone through what she has gone through, I wouldn't want some chunky dude to be lying next to me or even talking to me. I mean, I'd still feel kidnapped. Maybe we should give her time to go out by herself." He said. "If anything, I think you trying to help is causing more problems because of your reputation, you have which is because of the fear you enforce. It more seems that you frightening her which is why Lyall doesn't want your help." Was I really that scary?

"What? Did he tell you this?" I demanded.

"Maybe." He replied in a small voice.

"I don't try to be scary but I see what you mean. Maybe you're right about giving her space. It might be for the best. But letting her out by herself is not a good idea." There was silence as he nodded in agreement. "Toby?" He hummed a response.

"Can you help me find my mate after school? You're the only one who knows the girl from yesterday was my mate, except Mum and Dad." I looked up while waiting for a response.

"Sure." He beamed at me. I felt sorry for him because he was the only one out of us who needed to find their mate. He probably was the one who deserved a mate out of all of us. He was always helping us out and sometimes cared too much that he almost forgot his own needs. Like the time my dad brought us those chocolate Easter eggs and had dropped mine on the floor so Toby gave me all of his. He was always ready to help.

"Thanks, bro. You've always been here for me." I pat him on the back. He was the best gamma an alpha could ask for.

We were at the school Just in time. Even before the teacher, which was amazing because there had never been a day when a student would arrive before her. She was forgetful which was why she made sure everything was organised the day before and made lots of notes in her planner that she kept with her. Despite this, she was still a very fun teacher with the bright smile she always had on her face. It was shameful the students only had her once a week. She was probably the best teacher. The rest of the pack members in our crew were also here.