Two --

"The people are hungry! Man, look at all this love! This just off one single!" My manager hyped me as he looked over the crowd from the VIP section

"The people are hungry! Man, look at all this love! This just off one single!" My manager hyped me as he looked over the crowd from the VIP section. It sat above the rest of the club, with its private bar and dancing area. Rome, my manager, made up for all the excitement I lacked. It had been mentally taxing to get this single together, making me less than excited to think about returning to the studio to assemble the rest of the album.

Rome could sense my head reeling, succumbing to the thoughts going through my mind and taking me from the moment. His jovial demeanor had left him, and a more collected state had taken over. He handed me the glass of cognac that had been resting in his hand.

"Drink up and enjoy the night," he encouraged while resting his hand on my right shoulder. His sight turned to the dancefloor, locking in on a long-legged modelesque-looking figure. Her black hair, highlighted in ashy blonde, waved down to the top of her ass, whining effortlessly to the beat. Catching his gaze, she smiled. I might have been the talent, but Rome was the true ladies' man and knew how attractive he was to the opposite sex. At the exchange, he looked back at me knowingly.

Rome was ready to cut up at my release party, knowing that this album was already expected to go gold during its initial release week. Even more, I was on my to having two number-one singles charting on the billboard.

"I know one thing... I'm about to have a good ass night," He mumbled more to himself than telling me before easing off to the dancefloor. I laughed, sipping the cognac he had just placed in my hand. The roll-out leading up to my second album had been a long time coming, and Rome couldn't be happier. He was my right-hand man and moved restlessly to ensure everything was a hundred leading up to the significant drop.

I could feel the eyes on me, studying my demeanor and contemplating whether it was safe to approach. Though some of my music rang heavy in these settings, the club was no longer a place I enjoyed frequenting. And tonight, I didn't care to be here more than ever. But Rome pushed that it was in my best interest to show face for the roll-out of my latest album. It had been five years since the release of my last one, and in that time, I had fallen off. That didn't bother me, but it was freaking Rome, and the rest of the team, out.

"Ease up, you're too serious," her words soft as silk as her lips grinned against my ear. Her arm snaked around my neck; the sweet almond scent of her fragrance awakened my senses.

"What you doing out here?" I looked at Em, who was frowning in disapproval. I wasn't phased by her sudden appearance.

"You're not happy to see me?" She pouted, making the bottom of her already glossed lips more pronounced. Esmeralda's toffee-toned skin was glimmering gold under the club's lighting. The contours of her perky breasts were exposed by the dangerously low neckline of the silky fuchsia dress she wore exceptionally well.

Em lived in LA, working as a full-time actress and on-air personality for a daytime talk show. We fucked around on occasion when I had business in LA. However, it didn't start that way when we met six years ago at a Grammy after-party. Then I was new to the whole "fame" thing. Back home, my circle was hella small. My girl, manager, and two or three niggas I used to run the block with.

And that was how I liked it.

But with the crazy success of my project 'Loose Kaanon,' I found myself more and more outside of my element. Not only were label execs kissing my ass to get me to sign their deals, but mad artists were hitting me in the DM's trying to connect. Shit was unreal. I had found myself at one or two kickbacks in LA where Em and I had crossed paths. She was the first to approach me; I remember her bright and energetic smile and confidence as she rolled up on me. She had been on some industry shit, but not like everyone else.

Maybe her experience working as a journalist allowed her to see me. The me that was green, insecure as hell, and felt awkward as shit in a room full of celebrities. Three months ago, I watched those exact people on TV from my girl's couch.

The only way I could rationalize her sudden appearance at my event was that she was already on business in New York.

"I wouldn't say that," my voice trailed. One brow raised as my gaze trailed from her collarbone down to the exposed part of her thigh. When my eyes met back with hers, she smirked.

"Well, congrats on the singles! And the new album, I know how hard you've been working on it. I mean, it's been months since the last time you saw me in LA. I couldn't be in your city and not show my face." She continued to grin.

"I appreciate that." My eyes locked with hers again, and my arm slithered around her shoulder. We leaned into one another knowingly. Unknowingly, my finger ran up and down her forearm.

She jumped up to her feet, shimmying off the sexual tension that loomed between us.

"If you don't have plans after this, you know how to find me," she winked before strutting off. I watched as she exited, taking another cognac sip, amused by the moment. She knew better than to believe I would hit her up tonight.

I took another glance around the room. Some women dancing a little harder for my attention were pleased by my moment of eye contact. My eyes fell shut as I leaned back into the sofa and took in the vibrating bass. The night was dragging, and hiding my disinterest was becoming increasingly difficult.

"My man, how you playing the cut at your own release party?" I laughed at the sound of Milo's voice. Face to face, he dapped me up and observed the crowd in the VIP. Milo dressed super lowkey in a matching black tee and denim paired with retro jays. The gold around his neck was a simple chain, never the one to be too loud in his attire.

"Yo, I need to watch out for you, discreet as shit." I laughed calmly while taking a swig of the last bit of cognac in my glass. Milo was damn near superstar status; it baffled me how he navigated through the city without causing a scene. His being on my second single instantly made it jump to number one on the billboard with his smooth tenor on the hook.

"Shit is lit. I don't know why you in this bitch sulking," He continued to look about, nodding in approval.

"The fuck you mean sulking. I'm chill." Milo looked back at me with a raised brow, clearly not agreeing.

"It's all good. I'm about to get shit popping in your section." Milo peeled away. I fell back onto the sofa to indulge in solitude once again. Only moments had passed before I heard her voice.

"Excuse me!" She huffed in irritation. Her attitude instantly soured my mood, and I intended to inform ol' girl that her presence wasn't needed. I assumed one of Milo's people had invited her over. When I felt her body graze my thigh, I instantly jolted back. At that movement, a chill went through my lap, followed by wetness.

"Fuck!" I stood up, startled. My jeans were soaked in liquor. I glared over at her, irritated to no end. She appeared annoyed as well, challenging me back with her glare. Jason, the club promoter, instantly rushed to my side with Rome, attempting to diffuse the situation.

"Don't let Milo send nobody else up through here," I scoured as Jason passed me some beverage napkins to dry some liquor from my clothes.

"Nah, that ain't Milo. It's my girl's friend. She's cool people."

"Well, keep her over there." My head gestured to the other end of the VIP. Who I assumed to be Jason's girl, was over to my left in earshot, speaking to her. Absentmindedly, I looked longer at her; she was wearing a simple dusty rose body con dress. She was average height, with a slender frame, a small bust, and unpronounced curves. The dress accentuated the little it could.

Her eyes locked in with my wandering gaze. "Look, I didn't know-" she began. Her face had softened from the grimace.

"Don't worry about it. Just stay away from me for the rest of the night, aight?"

She took a moment to take in my response, then rolled her eyes theatrically. "You don't even have to worry about that."