Nine --

"Look who it is," Nina jokingly called out as I walked into the salon

"Look who it is," Nina jokingly called out as I walked into the salon. I pretended not to hear and sat in a stylist's chair beside hers. "I didn't expect to see you for at least a week the way you were acting Thursday night." Nina was concentrating on straightening the bra strap length hair in front her.

"Please Nina, I am not in the mood after brunch with my mother." I sighed.

 "But– who's fault was Thursday night?" I asked quizzically. Nina sucked her teeth and rolled her flat iron at me.

"Girl, I wasn't the one throwing up in G wagon's and shit."

I looked at Nina in confusion, "A G wagon? Did you order UberLUX or something?"

My expression of confusion only made her laugh harder. "If Kaanon is an Uber driver," she started, waggling her finger at me, "call me a janitor." 

Her client gasped, then added suggestively, "Kaanon? You know him? The things I could do to that man..." she gasped before letting out an ecstatic hum as if she'd just received her miracle. Nina and I exchanged glances, both highly amused by this little stunt.

"Take your thirsty ass on somewhere." Nina spun back towards her client and yanked off the salon cape, quickly ushering her out with a shove from the flat of her hand. Her client sucked her teeth and reached into her chest to pull out folded cash which she slid into Nina's palm.

When the customer departed, Nina disinfected the styling chair before nodding for me to sit down. "What you feeling today, a 30in bust-down?" she joked smugly.

"Just some finger waves, please," I said calmly.

"Bitch, you had us walking around this dirty-ass city trying to find your car." Nina wrapped the salon cape around my neck and guided me to the washing bowl. I sunk into the bowl and closed my eyes as the warm water cascaded down my head.

"How did you get Kaanon to take us home? He had such a nasty attitude at his album release party." I asked, still not quite believing that man would do any favor for me.

She laughed softly, "I didn't ask him; he just offered."

"Wait... what?" I asked, shocked by this revelation. "Kaanon? Seriously?"

"Yep," she nodded, smirking at my disbelief. "I know you two had that whole tense confrontation earlier, but he stepped up when it mattered. Guess there's more to him than just being an arrogant rapper, huh?"

"Guess so," I admitted reluctantly, still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Kaanon had not only driven us home but also carried me inside. It seemed so out of character for him – or at least, the version of him I'd formed in my mind.

Nina's steady hands worked their magic as she massaged shampoo into my scalp.

"He's actually a really sweet guy when he wants to be." She paused for a moment, her hands still moving through my hair. "Anyway, so after the party he offered to drop us off at home, and I had no choice but to accept because, girl, it was late, and you were.... You know."