Seventeen --

The New York City skyline seeped through my office windows as I flipped through the case files

The New York City skyline seeped through my office windows as I flipped through the case files. LA had been an adventure, to say the least, and now that we were back, I needed to buckle down and concentrate on preparing for the trial.

"Spill the tea, sis!" Yaz burst through the door, her eyes alight with mischief. She leaned against the doorway, sizing me up like a predator about to pounce on its prey. "How was your steamy trip to LA with the ever so dreamy Kaanon?"

"Yaz!" I groaned, rolling my eyes. "First of all, it wasn't a 'steamy trip.' We were there for business, remember?"

"Uh-huh, sure," she smirked, stepping into the room and closing the door behind her. "You know you can't hide anything from me, Leila."

I sighed, knowing there was no way out of this conversation. Despite my best efforts. "Fine. We... almost kissed."

"Almost?" Yaz raised an eyebrow, her grin widening. "Do tell."

"Nothing happened," I insisted, looking away from her probing gaze. "It was just... a moment. But things have been weird between us ever since. He hasn't mentioned it, and neither have I."

"Maybe he's waiting for you to make the first move," Yaz suggested, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. "What are you going to do after the case is over? Are you two going to keep in touch?"

"Yaz, I don't know," I admitted, rubbing my temples. "I haven't thought that far ahead."

Just as I reached for a file, my phone buzzed with an incoming call. Kaanon's name flashed across the screen, and my heart skipped a beat. I glanced at Yaz, who nodded eagerly, motioning for me to answer.

"Hello?" I managed, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Hey, Leila," Kaanon replied, his tone hesitant but warm. "You free tomorrow to meet Marlon, our new witness?"

"Sure, I can make time," I said, glancing at my calendar.

"Great. The meeting point is sketchy, so I suggest we drive together if that's okay with you.

"Sounds good," I agreed, ignoring Yaz's smug grin in the background. "What do you mean by 'sketchy,' though?"

"Let's just say it's not a place you'd want to be alone," he replied flatly. "I'll come by your place to pick you up."

"Alright then. See you tomorrow."

"See you," he said before hanging up.

As soon as I ended the call, Yaz shot me a knowing look. "So, what are you going to do about Kaanon?"

"Yaz, please..." I groaned. "Can we not?"

"Fine," she relented, still grinning. "But seriously, girl, you might as well go ahead and sleep with him. Get it out of your system."