Twenty --

"Good morning, Mom

"Good morning, Mom." My voice was thick with sleep as I answered the phone.

"Leila, darling, it's nearly noon! Don't tell me you're still in bed," Trisha chided with a hint of laughter in her voice. "I hope you haven't forgotten about the gala tonight. It's going to be quite the event."

"Of course not, Mom," I lied, feeling the weight of her expectations bearing down on me. "I'm just getting up now."

"Good," she replied briskly. "Now, have you got your dress and date sorted? You know how important it is to make a good impression."

My heart raced in my chest, and I glanced at Kaanon, still sleeping peacefully beside me. His chest rose and fell gently as he slept, his arm draped around me like a protective shield. Could I take him to the gala? Would he even want to go? And what about my dress? I hadn't given any thought to that either.

"Uh, yeah, Mom. Everything's under control. Don't worry." My mind raced, searching for a solution to the situation I'd created for myself.

"Really?" Trisha's voice was skeptical. "Because I called the boutique yesterday, and they said you hadn't picked up your dress yet."

I hesitated, caught in the lie. "Well, I had a change of plans. I found another dress, so it's all taken care of."

"Alright, Leila," she said, clearly not convinced. "But remember how important tonight is. Please don't embarrass me."

"Of course not, Mom," I replied, trying to sound confident. "I'll see you at the gala."

I sighed as I put my phone down on the nightstand, my eyes still fixed on Kaanon's sleeping form. His steady breaths were a soothing contrast to the turmoil in my head. We had been together for the past few weeks, but I wasn't sure if we were even friends, let alone something more. What had happened between us? Was I working myself up over a one-time thing? Is this just a one-time thing? I wished I could ask him, but he was still asleep, his arm draped around me like an embrace. I tentatively put my hand on top of his, feeling the warmth emanating from his skin. I couldn't take Kaanon to the gala - what would my mom think? He certainly wasn't the type of person she expected me to spend my time with. But then again, I couldn't shake the feeling that I wanted him there with me.

I shifted under the covers, feeling restless. It was all so confusing. Despite my reservations, I couldn't deny that I was drawn to Kaanon - his easy confidence, playful smile, and the way he made me feel when he went down on me last night... I was flustered at the thought.

I turned my head to look at him again, taking in the sight of his peaceful features. He looked so... innocent, almost. But I knew better. There was a dark past that loomed over Kaanon, and a side of him that I had yet to know. I reached out and traced the tattoos on his arm, marveling at the intricate designs.

Kaanon stirred beside me, his eyes fluttering open. He blinked a few times, then looked at me with a lazy smile.

"Hey," he murmured, his voice husky with sleep.