Four --

I left the party halfway into midnight

I left the party halfway into midnight. Rome and Milo stayed behind in the section, packing it with women who looked like they walked right out of a music video.

"Nigga! Who leaves their party this early?" Milo exclaimed after I told him I was out. He was holding an unopened bottle of Ace of Spades. I shook my head, chuckling. Milo was ecstatic to enjoy a night out without anyone on his team hovering over his every move. He was making the most of the night.

"A nigga with kids," I responded before chucking up the deuce to Rome and making my way to the exit.

I told Celine I would come by and see her. Originally, to spend a little time with our daughter, Lyric, before bed. Now I doubted she was waiting on me for that. However, I knew she would still accept me regardless of how I had yet again managed to fall through on a promise.

I hopped into the G wagon and pulled out my phone. Em's name flashed across my screen.

Are you coming over tonight or what?

The text was sent over an hour ago. Shit, I hadn't reached for my phone the whole night. After we'd spoken, it wasn't like I was searching for Em either. I had no interest in hitting her up tonight. Her message remained on read, and I promptly dialed up Celine.

The phone rang three times before she answered, "I'm sleep Kay." Her voice sounded irritated rather than tired. I knew better than to push her buttons. Celine was the only person in my life who addressed me as Kay. The name from her lips could soothe me while also, in the same breath, stab me.

"Imma come see you." Celine sucked her teeth.

"Didn't I just tell you I'm asleep?" I could hear her eyes rolling through the phone.

"You don't want to see me?" I smiled.

"I did until I was putting Lyric to bed without you. I'm so tired of your empty promises."

I sighed, "Damn Celine, you know I'm trying. This whole music thing ain't easy."

"So you think that excuses you from continually letting your family down?"

The G wagon rolled up to the stop as I carefully thought about my response. I knew Celine wasn't going to let up easily. But because of the love we shared, there was always space for me to come back into her good graces.

"Imma make it up to you."

Celine scuffed and laughed curtly, "I swear you're always using your dick to try and solve some shit."

Celine continued to express her disappointment in me while simultaneously blaming herself for continuing to let me in. Listening to Celine sounding hurt, caused my stomach to sink. I want to be a good father to Lyric, I wanted a family that was strong and happy. Guilt started to creep in as Celine rattled off more grievances about me, while I was still waiting at an abnormally long red light.