Three --

"Try this," Nina smirked

"Try this," Nina smirked. She handed me a glass with a reddish concoction garnished with a cherry and lime. I hesitated and then sipped; the drink was sweet and fruity.

"Ok, this is good! What you got me drinking?" I was already halfway through my glass.

"Slow up, girl, dang! I knew you would like it, though." She continued to smile mischievously.

"Imma go get you another one," Nina strutted back to the bar.

When we walked away from Kaanon's section, Nina told me not to sweat it, which is precisely what I did. I immediately returned to the bar and ordered two more mojitos. Nina had laughed at my drink selection.

"Bitch, you need some shots. Not no damn mojitos." I ignored her judgment and enjoyed my drink.

Warmth was spreading across my body, and the rhythm was taking over my hips. What started as a simple sway became a full-on roll of my hips. I wasn't sure what song was playing, but the vibe made me feel myself. My eyes fell shut as I let the music take over my body. I was feeling this little buzz I had.

"I see you," the voice said playfully close to my ear. His hand fell comfortably on my hip, and I quickly turned to face him. His hand fell from my body, and he rested his palms comfortably on one another. He was maybe 5'8" and looked no older than 23.

I raised my hand to his face dismissively, "I'm good." At 32, I had no energy to entertain him.

"You could be better," He smiled. His dimples dug into the sides of his caramel-complexed babyface. The smile was contagious, causing me to do the same in return.

"I guess I'll never know." I teased. The alcohol was hitting me as my small flirtation took me aback. At that, his brow raised in curiosity. Before he could respond with something clever, Nina rolled up behind me with both drinks.

"Well, hello!" She sang, already peeping the banter from across the floor.

"Don't let me get in the middle of what y'all got going on here," I looked pointedly at Nina as I grabbed the fruity concoction from her. His gaze was still on me, anticipating. The DJ was now playing some rap song that had completely killed my mood.

"I'm going to have a seat actually." I began to walk away from the young man and Nina before either could respond.

"Don't go too far; we'll be back," Nina told him hastily before prancing behind me to catch up to my strides.

"Bitch, he is cute," Nina sang when she returned to my side.

"Girl, he looked young enough to be Kila's age." Kila was my youngest sister from my dad's second marriage. I took a seat on a black sofa in Jason's section. The small space was packed with bottles being passed to and fro. Nina sat beside me and grabbed a bottle of champagne sitting on ice from the table. Half a glass left of the drink she had gotten from the bar was still left.

"Girl, so? I'm just saying he's cute for tonight."

"Well, that's not what kind of night I'm on."

"You should be; it might get you out of your bitter mood." At that assessment, I huffed.

"Bitter?" I gasped, insulted.

"Yes bitch, you need to loosen up." She said, matter of fact, as she finished the remainder of her drink.

"Maybe I'd be in a better mood if my best friend didn't drag me out to the club to be a third wheel to her party-promoting boyfriend." I snapped.

"First of all, you ain't nobody's third wheel. And second of all, I didn't put no damn gun to your head to come out tonight." Nina retorted.

"All I am saying is, I know work has you stressed out, and maybe someone here tonight can relieve some of that tension." Nina teased as she wiggled her hips back and forth on the sofa. I rolled my eyes, not able to be annoyed with her for long. Before I could respond, the DJ took our attention, lowering the music and coming in with the mic.

"Yo yo yo, Let's give it up for my man one time."

Kaanon approached the booth smoothly, grabbing the mic. His diamond-studded Cuban link chain reflected under the nightclub lights. A tattoo peeked out from the left side of his neck. "I appreciate y'all for coming out tonight. My city made me, and there is nowhere else I'd rather be right now celebrating the release of this project." He paused as the room full of people erupted into cheers—hooting and hollering out "Brooklyn", the borough I assumed where Kaanon was from.

"Thanks to my team for putting up with my shit. Milo, my man, you came through on the single. The tour this fall is about to be crazy. Most of all, Thank all y'all in the room for sticking by me up until this point. I know I've had y'all waiting for a minute, but we're back." He raised his glass in the air, and the room full of people followed.

"Oh my gosh, is Milo here tonight!?" Nina looked from left to right frantically. Nina was in love with the R&B crooner. I also agreed that he was nice to look at and had some songs I enjoyed. But I didn't 'fan girl' out much over anybody.

The DJ dropped a variety of sound effects. "This goes out to the day ones!" The DJ proceeded to shout into the mic before he began to play a song that I clearly remembered hearing many times from my days in law school. I was never a rap listener, so it surprised me that this was Kaanon's song. The room responded enthusiastically, the energy in the room infectious. I had finished the drink Nina had made for me and had moved on to the champagne. I couldn't remember the last time I had drank this much in one night. My body was warm all over and I felt like I was floating. My body was moving synchronously with the music before my mind could register. Nina held my hand and guided me back to the dance floor. Who knew where Jason had disappeared to at this point. We joined the crowd on the dance floor, singing along to the chorus.

Five songs in, and the party was in full swing. Miraculously, I could still hold onto the drink in my glass as I dropped my ass in time with the beat. I was oblivious to the figure that had approached. His hand slipped discreetly around my waist as he fell in sync with the whine of my body to the tune. The song was slow and rhythmic, our movement in sync. I peeked over my shoulder, recognizing the face of the younger guy from earlier. He smirked when he noticed me checking. I could see Nina in the other corner of my eye with raised brows, amused.

Recognizing what was happening, I stepped away, creating space between us. "I think it's time to go."