Day 1: Soulmates | Loyalty

Chosen: Soulmate

Words: 1171

Short Summary: Soulmate AU. Luffy was traveling the world for a few years now. Law meanwhile fulfilled his dream to be a surgeon and following his father's steps. One day, when Law was sitting outside the hospital on a bench for a coffee break, Luffy crossed his path.

________________________

The first thing Luffy witnessed about this city was the rain. There was not a day without it. Therefore, it was quite a change when the weather forecast in the morning told him, that this was going to be a rainless day with warm and sunny weather. He even checked twice on the internet if the man in the television is telling him the truth or if it's just a joke. Luffy's mood brightened instantly and soon he was out on the streets walking towards his work in his favorite pair of shorts, his straw hat on his head and a red t-shirt. A red hoodie around his waist, just in case the weather changed. You never know, right?

He greeted his boss Shanks. "Hey Shanks! What's up today?" He asked, wearing his signature smile on his face, which rivaled the sun today. "Hey Luffy, your parcels are already loaded on the truck. It's a different tour today but I'm sure you will be fine. Want some chocolate?" Luffy was studying the map with today's locations when the sweet offer reached his ears. "Thank you, Shanks!" He grabbed a big piece of the dark brown deliciousness and made his way towards the truck.
This time he really hit the jackpot with his job. Ever since he left his foster mother Dadan and did this work travel thing, he really thought about settling here. He has been to many different countries, doing many different jobs such as cashier, paperboy, cleaner, caretaker and babysitter but nothing left him as much freedom as this job as a delivery guy. He liked the smiles on the people's faces when they get their parcels, and he got a nice tip nearly every day. Shanks was a nice boss and once you get back from your tour, there is always a huge gathering of all colleagues and free food and drinks.
With that in mind, he was eager to finish his tour on time and started the truck.

In the hospital of the same city, Law was at the cafeteria waiting for his large black coffee. He thanked the man behind the counter once he was holding the steaming cup in his hands and left the hospital through the front entrance. The weather was nice and so he was able to avoid the crowded cafeteria or the break room and enjoy his break on a bench facing the street and the sidewalk. Two sips into his coffee and he finally relaxed those muscles, practically melting into the bench. Only two hours into his shift and his muscles already felt like he did work for three days straight.
He let his gaze wander when he spotted a young man with a straw hat on the sidewalk. His features were angelic and the smile on his face was so bright and pure that it nearly blinded Law. In that moment, their eyes met, and it felt like time froze. Despite the fact that the one with the straw hat was still walking, both men couldn't take their eyes off each other, and it felt like their souls connected on another level.
Law was captivated and motionless when suddenly Bepo appeared next to him. "EMERGENCY! Come on, we need you!" he shouted, ripping Law out of his gaze, throwing him over his shoulder and running back towards the hospital. "But..." Law left the sentence unfinished.
Going back into doctor mode as the young man wasn't visible anymore and the doors shut, he complaint "Let me down already and fill me in, will ya Bepo-ya?!"

BONK! Luffy shook his head and collected his straw hat from the ground. Wow, that man really hit him hard. His mind was that far up in the clouds that he even ran into a streetlight.
Ni-Shi-Shi, that was a strange feeling. He had felt a stare on him and when he looked at that raven-haired man on the bench, he was enchanted. He had sharp features, a goatee and sideburns. However, it was his eyes, which really attracted him. They were like a pool of liquid silver calling for Luffy to take a dive. He had never seen such beautiful eyes before.
Unfortunately, a tall, broad man with short white hair disturbed their moment and as soon as he was out of sight the streetlamp greeted Luffy's forehead. He didn't even had the time to ask for his name much less his number. Well, this was a once in a lifetime...
Sighing deeply he collected himself and got back to work. It's no use to wallow in self-pity so he put that straw hat back on his hat and his smile on his face and went on with his tour to put a smile on people's faces.

Although Law was concentrated on the patient on the table beneath him, there was also a small spot in the back of his mind thinking about the young man with the straw hat. It annoyed him to no limit that he couldn't at least catch his name. He cursed this bad timing and sighed.
"What's the matter with you, Law?" Penguin asked worried. He took notice of Law's changed behavior. "It's nothing. You can stitch his wound now." Law stated and let his assistant take over the patient. He left to get rid of his operation clothes and washed himself. He was not interested in any romance over the past years. It was always him and his job, but this time it was different.
Through his entire shift, he always thought about his bright smile and how he hoped to cross paths with him again someday.

It was already dark outside, and the temperature has decreased when he left the hospital through the front entrance to walk home. He sighed and bathed in his depressed thoughts when he spotted a familiar looking straw hat. He stopped dead in his tracks as he saw the raven-haired young man sitting on the bench, he sat on earlier that day and smiling at him.
Luffy got up from the bench and walked towards the stunned surgeon. "Hello stranger, I'm Monkey D. Luffy. Nice to meet you!" He said and held his hand out towards Law. "Trafalgar Law. Likewise." He said, still not believing his eyes until he shook Luffy's hand. He had small hands but a strong grip. "Were you out here waiting for me for long?" – "Just an hour or two, but I don't mind. Still was worth it to wait for my soulmate." That struck Law like lightning and a small smile formed on his lips. "Soulmate, huh? Shall we get to know each other to find out if your guess is right or wrong?" - "My gut never fails me, believe me. But I would like to know everything about you." Luffy said, grabbing Laws arm and dragging him along. "Then I'm glad that I know the perfect route for a nice walk with you." Law said with a smirk and they both walked off into the night.

♥ If you like whatyou're reading, please give it a vote. Thank you ♥