one

⋆ one ⋆ 

⋆ one ⋆ 

If there's one thing Madison is sure of, it's that the best things in life start with an Imagine Dragons song.

Earphones pressed in, blocking her off from the outside world, her fingers deftly press against the keys, letters popping up hurriedly against the black screen. Strands of curly hair falling into her face, she's quick to lose track of time with Roots blasting loudly into her head.

Her fingers only start to ache a long while later, and when she checks the time, she realises she's gone past her lunch break without actually having eaten anything, tuna sandwich lying untouched on the plate beside her. Typical.

But she's so close to being done, she realises in surprise, grabbing the chunky glasses from the side and plugging the jagged edge into the side of her computer. The lenses light up a faint blue for a moment, charging up, and Maddy takes a huge bite of her sandwich to keep her occupied as she continues on with her coding.

Till it's done.

It's finished.

"You planning on extending your lunch break any more or are you gonna actually get to work?" Danielle Reed calls teasingly from her own workstation, a hologram pulled up in front of her with some military weapon blueprints viewable. "There's only so long I can cover for you."

"And if you were any kind of good friend, you'd do it for a few more minutes," Madison calls back jokingly, pulling her earphones out and taking another bite of her sandwich. "I just need to upload this project."

The older girl quirks an eyebrow, trying to glance over the edge of the laptop, only for the screen to be pulled down slightly, hidden from prying eyes. It makes her groan quietly. "Come on, Mads. I want to know what's going on with this oh-so-special project you've been working on for the last couple of years. Wait, what are you doing?" She narrows her eyes, noticing the shifty look in Madison's eyes.

"Something slightly illegal, but you have to promise you won't tell." Hacking into Oscorp's wider database, all the information of people living in New York downloads into her glasses before she grins, slamming her laptop shut and slipping the glasses on, hiding the USB edges in her hair. "Dani, turn to me."

"Why?" The Indonesian shifts uncomfortably by her desk, not seeing the same thing Madison is. "You'd better not be seeing my skeleton or my body without clothes or something with those freaky glasses."

The girl's grin only grows, however, as she takes it in. Lines coming up on her face, the glasses seem to analyse Danielle's facial structure and iris along with her posture and gait before her passport picture shows up in the corner of the screen, followed by a series of information underneath.

"Holy shit." The whisper slips past her lips, full of shock. Danielle flinches, worry only growing as she takes in the way her coworker's eyes seem ready to jump out of her head. "Holy shit!"