sixteen

⋆ sixteen ⋆ 

⋆ sixteen ⋆ 

The attempted break-in is in the news even two weeks later.

By now, Peter and Madison have discussed a plan of action: keep a low profile. Sure, it's not much, but it's the most they can do. It's not like they can erase time, after all.

They know her mom won't give her identity up, and in the Daily Bugle they've said that it was most likely a mistake on the fire being's part (they're definitely not calling her a fire angel anymore) and that she was probably trying to break someone else out and made a miscalculation.

Well, one: Madison Kennedy doesn't make miscalculations. Two: she'll let them believe whatever they want as long as she doesn't end up getting caught.

Peter's even gone through lengths to meet with the guards as Spider-Man, insisting that he overheard something about the fire being demanding where another one of the prisoners were, although leaving them unnamed. It only gets them further off her trail.

And that's what makes her realise. In every story, there's a villain, someone who goes against the things they're meant to believe in to get what they want. The villain in her own story... is her.

Peter doesn't seem to feel the same way, but then again, he's not the kind of person who would. And she knows that despite what he says, he's still hurt. He hides it, pretends it didn't happen just like he said, hanging out with her and moving on, but sometimes she can see his eyes glaze over, and something churns in her gut. She didn't want him to feel like he wasn't enough, but it's not the same. She just wanted her mom back.

Her phone pings, and at the sight of Peter's nickname popping up, she can't help but smile. At least he's not ignoring her, which she'll be eternally grateful for. There's no way on earth she deserves someone as good as Peter Parker.

Despite knowing she's not supposed to be on her phone during work, she unlocks the phone, catching sight of the selfie of her and Peter as her lockscreen before messaging him back.

bug bastard 💩

mad scientist 🔬

hey dork

figure anything out yet

not yet

aren't you supposed to be in class

yeah but they're finishing up a test paper so we're good

you give your classes too many tests

you're the kind of teacher you would've hated

it's a point of pride

:)

IT'S THE OTHER WAY

(: