four

⋆ four ⋆ 

⋆ four ⋆ 

"A solution–" Peter continues to draw a flask on the blackboard with chalk, "forms when one substance dissolves in another. The solute is the substance that dissolves, and the solvent is the substance it dissolves in." Adding small dots into the solution, he labels them, turning back to the class. "When a substance dissolves, what happens?"

A chubby Filipino kid throws his hand up, Peter turning to him expectantly. The boy's reply is instant. "Its particles separate and become completely mixed with the particles of the solvent."

"Correct. If a substance can dissolve in a particular solvent, it is soluble in that solvent. If it cannot dissolve, it is insoluble in that solvent. Substances can be soluble in one solvent but insoluble in another solvent. Can anyone give me an example?"

The same kid in the front row throws his hand up. "Nail varnish. It dissolves in nail varnish remover but not in water."

"Thank you, Ned. Did no one else do the reading last night?" The response is overwhelming as no one looks up, half the class doodling boredly in their books, the other half not-so-subtly on their phones under the table, reminding Peter exactly why teaching freshmen is the bane of his existence. "Really, guys? You're not going to pass Chemistry if you don't try do the work. We've not even started the difficult stuff yet."

"The difficult stuff is more interesting," one of the kids call out, flicking their hair back. "We don't want to know about nail varnish. We want to do experiments."

"Yeah, I thought Chemistry was about the experiments!" another one shouts.

Peter can't stop the wry smile from forming on his lips. Glancing down at his watch (that Maddy got for him a couple of years back, claiming "no Spider-Man stuff, just for Peter Parker so you can stop being so damn late without excuse"), the time hits nine o'clock.

"You all want experiments?"

"Yeah!"

"Alright, then." His grin only widens. "You know, I saw this coming, and because maybe it'll convince you to start working harder for the rest of the year, I thought I'd change today up a bit. Please welcome Doctor Madison Kennedy, biochemist from Oscorp Industries!"

The door swings open, and the gasps and chatter rings out amongst the class as Maddy walks in, wearing skinny jeans, a white shirt and blazer, along with a hat perched on her curls. Smirk playing on her lips, she heads over to the desk, giving a sweeping bow. "Hello, Midtown Tech! First thing I want to do in the short hour I have with you is make a bet. I want to bet you all that if I don't see a single phone all lesson, I'll eat my hat."

"What, you're actually going to eat your hat?" a girl, Xara, calls from the back, mouth gaping in shock.

"If I don't see a single phone." Immediately the class rush to hide their phones in their bags, their pockets. One of them even slips it down her bra, Peter turning to give Maddy a dubious look. She seems completely confident, however. "Alright, everyone. Now, get comfortable. Even those at the back. Sit on your desks, stand up, anything that lets you see what I'm doing up at the front."