eleven

⋆ eleven ⋆ 

⋆ eleven ⋆ 

"Heads up!"

The movement in the corner of her eye heading right towards her makes Madison lunge to the side, rolling on the grass before shooting a fireball out from her hands. Of course she purposefully aims slightly away from Peter, but not enough that it goes flying wildly without direction.

Peter shoots a web towards the girl but like lightning her hand reaches out, grabbing the end before it catches on her chest. Fire sparks out, following the web which Peter just about manages to detach before it gets to his web shooters. Surprised, he swings and bounces off the side of the house, using both arms to shoot webs around her, gluing her to the far fence, restraining her.

Gritting her teeth, Maddy forces herself to concentrate. Last time she wasn't in control and charred part of the fence before Peter used the hose to put her out. It's unrecognisable now after painting over it, but she'd rather not have a similar situation.

She concentrates the flames on her body in front rather than behind, and slowly the webs start to burn and fade into smoke. She focuses it, getting rid of all the webs, and Peter watches as her eyes glow orange, like the flames emerging from her skin.

And it disappears. She manages to control it, breathing a sigh of relief as she pulls away from the fence, seeing it remain in perfect state. Over a month of practice and finally she's getting the hang of it.

Doesn't mean she doesn't want to get rid of her powers, of course, but there's no headway with that whatsoever. Considering it took ten years to get into this situation, she has no hope for the near future.

"Woo!" Peter pulls his mask off, grinning widely as he jumps off the side of the house and goes to pull Madison into a tight hug. She hugs him back, something she's missed sorely for the last few months. "That's what I'm talking about!"

It's only when she pulls away that she realises, "Parker! You've left webs all over the side of my house!"

"Our house." It's at the narrowed eyes she shoots him that he instantly corrects, "Your house. I'm just living in it and paying half the bills and doing the chores."

"I'm paying all the rent, idiot. You purposely skipped signing up for half the bills when you moved here."

"Did I?" he squeaks innocently, rubbing the back of his neck as he forces his gaze away. "That's unfortunate. Really, that is. Someone needs to get that fixed."

Maddy just shoots him a disappointed look, but it doesn't stay that way for long, Peter turning to her with a grin that she can't help but reciprocate. It's so strange – for a month he watched her retreat further and further into herself till she became someone he didn't recognise; now, even though the accident still preys on her mind, she's getting the hang of her powers, learning to manage her emotions again, and it's like she's back.