two

⋆ two ⋆ 

⋆ two ⋆ 

four years later

mad scientist 🔬

You're not going to make it in time.

Peter's feet start pumping against the ground harder and faster, refusing to believe the text that pops up into the corner of his eyepiece. People dart out of his way, recognising the familiar urgency in Spider-Man's run, the way he throws his arm out and starts swinging between buildings. It's not long before another text pops up.

Things are about to get out of hand.

Realising how dangerous this could get he picks up the pace as much as possible, very nearly crashing into a billboard when another one shows itself.

HURRY UP

"I'm coming," he mutters under his breath despite knowing no one can hear him, knowing how his job gets. It's difficult juggling everything, and even after being Spider-Man for nearly ten years he knows it's not about to get much easier. If anything, all the criminals know he's here, and he's just waiting for them to keep showing up.

Landing in an alleyway he hurriedly pulls the backpack off his back, pulling his shirt and trousers over his suit and yanking the flowers out when they get stuck in the zip before running the last minute over to one of the large houses on the block, nearly tripping over the steps before ringing the doorbell three times in the one second it takes for the door to open and for him to be roughly pulled in.

"She's about to cry, and there's no way she didn't hear the doorbell," Madison rushes out hurriedly, fixing the boy's lopsided outfit and hiding any signs of his suit sleeves and collar before tugging the mask off his face. "You forgot the mask. She sees that, she goes blabbermouthing to everyone at school, and you can kiss your ass goodb–"

"PETER!"

The moment the voice rings out the two adults whirl to face her, Peter plastering a wide grin onto his lips as Maddie hides the mask behind her back. The girl in the pink tutu watches them curiously, narrowing her eyes. "What are you doing?"

"I, uh..." Peter hesitates, biting his lip before remembering. "Preparing these for the birthday girl!" He holds the flowers out, only to realise a split second too late that the daffodils he'd spend ages picking in the park and wrapping with wrapping paper and tape are drooping, stems broken and petals falling.

Madison suppresses the urge to sigh, giving the sheepish Peter a sideways look, although she's really not surprised.

Aleah just stares at them for a moment longer, gaze heading down to the flowers in his hand, only for her eyes to light up as she announces in the loudest, most proud voice ever, "They're so ugly – I love them!" Eyeing him again, she gives a curt nod. "You're presentable. Come on in. My moms are waiting."