Part 1 - Unwelcomed Guest

September 2nd, AL 1 – 9:40 AM – Edge of The Last City

(2) Wren laced up his Crystocrene boots and walked out the door of his makeshift apartment.

Another sneaky trip up to the Tower was on the schedule today. Wren was running low on knives and ammo, and Banshee had just the stuff he needed. He had been pondering whether or not to go through with this for a couple of days now. Nova had warned him about getting caught again, but what else could he do? This was his life, surviving at the edge of the City and stealing supplies to do it. Wren didn't have any family to take care of him. He was on his own, but he knew how to get along just fine. He had to go up there again. The supplies were just too good.

About an hour of walking and Wren was at the base of the Tower. Guards stood at the entrance, but Wren knew how to get past security, he didn't even have to use the main doors. There was an elevator system at the back of the Tower used for maintenance and supplies, but nobody monitored it until about 2 P.M. when shipments came in. It was the perfect way to sneak into the Tower undetected.

Wren sneaked around the Guards. It was getting easy for him since they didn't pay much attention anyway. He called down the elevator shaft and waited a few minutes, planning the best escape route while he waited. He got in the elevator and called it up to the top floor of the Tower. The elevator ascended and the gate opened as Wren got out on a catwalk in between the main courtyard and the hangar. He snuck up the stairs and peered over to see an only somewhat busy courtyard at this time of day. He looked over to see that no one was currently getting anything from Banshee. This was the perfect time to steal some ammo. Funny enough he wasn't really stealing from Banshee. He actually welcomed Wren and freely let him take some ammo each time he came by. Wren couldn't tell if it was a friendly gesture or if he just didn't care, but he was thankful regardless. The only problem was that Tower Security didn't like Banshee's "friendly gestures" since Wren wasn't a Guardian.

Normally the hardest part would be getting over to the vendor booth without being recognized or spotted. He had certainly riled up security with last week's stunt. He made sure to leave the stolen sidearm at home where it was safe.

Lucky for Wren the Tower security guards weren't currently pacing the courtyard, but he would have to be quick. He took the stairs down towards Banshee's vending area, making sure not to draw any attention.

"Hey Banshee!" Wren gave a welcoming smile to the Exo.

"Mmh. Come for some more ammo?" Banshee's voice had a monotone but casual inflection.

"You know it. Got any Sniper ammo?"

Banshee walked over and grabbed a couple of boxes of the ammo and tossed it to Wren. Wren gave Banshee a nod before making his way down to the Hangar. "See ya soon!" The Exo vendor shook his head, "That kid is gonna get himself in a lot of trouble with the Vanguard someday..."

Down at the Hangar Wren spotted the real prize he was looking for, Cayde's knives. The stack of polished silver blades lay flat on the counter of Cayde's little corner in the Hangar. Wren always had a route to sneak behind and grab some of the knives undetected. Lucky for him Cayde wasn't even there so his job was much easier. Only problem was he found where the Tower Security was.

Cayde had specifically requested someone to guard his area while he was away. Wren would have to cause some kind of distraction.

That's when he spotted the jumpship being held by a construction crane right over Cayde's shed. Wren followed the cord with his eyes up to the catwalk above him. He jumped up, grabbing the railing and pulling himself over. He sneaked over to the control panel and slowly pulled down on the leveler. The ship made a slow descent down towards the shed as the two guards looked up, shouting at whoever was nearby to stop lowering the ship. They had no idea what was happening. Wren settled the ship right on top of the metal roof, distracting enough to get what he wanted but without causing any damage.

The guards began snooping around, looking for where the control panel for the crane was. They too followed the cord up to the catwalk, but by the time they raced up there, Wren was already snatching up some of Cayde's newly polished throwing knives. He quickly paced towards the stairs that led to the Courtyard. Going back the way he came wasn't an option, the guards were in the way of his secret entrance. He'd have to circle back around to the catwalks on the side of the courtyard and get to the elevator from there.

About three steps from the stairs was when he was spotted by the disgruntled security guards, and they didn't mind making a scene.

Wren dashed up the stairs as fast as he could as the Tower security rushed down the hangar catwalk. Wren had a head start so he had to take advantage of it. He reached the ramp leading to the courtyard and caught his breath as quickly as possible, trying to look as casual as he could. He walked over towards the vendors and weighed his options of hiding spots. Just then the two guards came sprinting out of the hangar ramp. No time to think now. Wren dove through the postmaster kiosk and hid in the back left corner, putting a finger up to his mouth as the robot frame looked at him in whatever confusion could look like on an expression-less robot.

Slowly peering over the counter, Wren could see the two security personnel, scanning the courtyard before checking each individual vendor area for their thief.
He ducked his head down as one of the men walked over to the postmaster, surveying the booth.

Kadi looked up at the guard, "Sorry, no incoming packages at this time."
The man rolled his eyes in annoyance and moved on to the next vendor.

Wren let out a quiet sigh of relief as he glanced up at the Postmaster robot. Kadi gave the thief a nod before returning to organizing mail.

Wren gratefully nodded back, but his escape wasn't over yet. He still had a courtyard to escape and an elevator to catch, and as his luck would have it, the guards stood right in front of the stairs leading down to the cargo lift. Wren was piecing together whatever sort of plan he could when luck went his way for once. There he was, leaning on the counter of Banshee's booth having small talk with the fellow Exo.

Nova-6

Banshee casually gestured towards the postmaster booth. Nova immediately turned his head to see the young thief shrugging back at him. Nova glanced over at the guards and facepalmed in irritation. Nova knew he needed to give the kid a distraction, but he didn't need to be seen helping him out. That would put him in a rough spot with the Vanguard AND Tower Security. Wren was lucky that the Sparrow Racing League was going on, otherwise there would be no fireworks to meddle with in the Tower

The Exo Hunter discretely pointed towards the rockets sitting on the edge of the Tower overlook as Wren readied himself to run out of there as quickly as possible.