Chapter 25: that flower was meant for you, i think

_
Follow me into the endless night.
I CAN BRING YOUR FEARS TO LIFE.
Show me yours, and I'll show you mine.
Meet me in the woods tonight.

_

(Meet Me in the Woods - Lord Huron)

A rather large, red dragon sauntered towards me. He rose onto his hind legs. Curls of gold sailed across the scarlet sea of his hide. We stood upon a plane of infinite darkness. I stuffed my hands in my pockets and said, "You interrupted my dreams."

This is important. The words echoed throughout my mind as though mimicking my own thoughts. His voice was deep and resounding - the opposite of mine. He said, The war will repeat soon. I have selected five humans to bear my power and fight on my behalf.

I laughed. "You woke me up to waste my time with jokes?"

I do not joke, he said. Five humans wear my marks, and five humans will dispel the wicked gods.

I grinned and tossed up a hand. "I wonder if your chosen humans bleed crimson, too."

His set of ruby-red teeth snapped down an inch from my nose. You will not harm them. Your duty is to protect them.

"You have no right to define my duty. There was no agreement to protect humans."

The dragon's growl rumbled the very atmosphere. You shall not. Harm. Them.

"As if you have any power to decide! Symbiosis means you need me. You don't have the leverage to make demands. You're just a desperate dragon putting up a front of intimidation. I think I'll take you up on your offer and discover how crimson your marked humans can be."

He roared in my face, tossing my hair. I should have left you in hell!

The memory drifted away like sands in the tide. My present self remained in empty darkness stretching on to infinity. I was on my knees, and my arms were stuck behind me at an awkward angle. I attempted to shift them, but they wouldn't budge.

"Have you accepted the truth?" Roman said. He stood several feet from me, and the four Signers were scattered in the distance. "The Vessel you so relied on and believed in was wicked from the start."

Jack's eyes were wide. "You planned on killing us from the beginning."

I sniffed. "You wretches take it so personally. Who you are makes no difference to me. Humans are the planet's walking plague. I'll go to any lengths to see you erased."

Akiza's stare bore into me. "I understand why you asked. You're beyond evil. You're genocidal."

"No, don't say that!" Luna cried. "It's Rain you're talking about! We need to get you out of here so we can stop the world from ending!"

My laughter lacked mirth. "Welcome to your deserved ending. The world is better off in the hands of the dark gods than with humanity."

Yusei Fudo gazed at me. He said, "I thought our bonds could overcome anything, including your past. I was wrong. You don't care. You're just like a Dark Signer. No, worse. We're all going to die because of you."

The four humans faded like the memory had, leaving me alone with the Dark Signer. The disappearance of the humans widened his grin. I said, "Uru. Because of you, my Master suffered. You shall pay tenfold."