Chapter 3: Welcome to the Malcolm Family

I twirled a strand of white hair around my finger. Behind the shop counter, Charis awaited my reply. Her patient smile was reassuring enough for me to blurt out, "Do you need any help around your shop? I- I'm capable with a needle, and I can even do hemming or embroidery if you need it!"

Charis said, "My, my. I haven't taken an employee since the Dyne Rush days! I suppose you could help me with repairs. Most of the men 'round here are too stubborn to buy new, so they only request fixes. On occasion I'll make new women's clothes."

I offered a thumbs-up, and she tested me with my first repair. It was a pair of boots whose soles were falling off. The corners of my mouth pulled down. "Ew. Why wouldn't you get a new pair at this point?"

"Like I said," she sighed, "stubborn."

Reattaching the soles was simple. Charis watched my work with a close eye. "Um, is this okay?"

"Wonderful," she said. "You may want to tighten the stitching here."

I followed her advice. On the next pair, I did the same. "Is this one better?"

"Yes! You're a quick learner. Let's move to the chaps."

She taught me tricks for every article of clothing. By the time we'd gone through them all, the sun had long set. We stepped outside together. Charis locked up and said, "I suppose we lost track of time! I hope Klaus won't worry."

We parted ways. Klaus was waiting on the porch and stamping his spurs. "Rain! Where the heck have you been?"

"I was working with Charis," I muttered.

"Oh." He grumbled, "Let someone know next time."

"Charis knew."

"Don't get smart with me!" he hollered. "You're supposed to get those kids to leave me alone! They came around at sunset. 'Where's Rain?' Bah. They have too much time on their hands with the schoolhouse not in session."

"Sorry."

"Apology accepted. It's good you have something to keep your hands busy. Tomorrow's the weekend, so you can get back to entertaining the three stooges."

The next day, I stumbled out of bed after noon. Klaus was sipping coffee in the kitchen. He offered a bowl of murky brown oats. "Oatmeal," he called it. It didn't taste the best, but I was grateful for it. He grumbled, "All I did was heat up a premade package. You don't have to act like it's your last meal."

"I just, uh, really appreciate it."

"Then get those kids off my stoop!"

I exited into the midday heat and wiped crust from my eyes. West, Nico, and Toru hopped to their feet. West said, "You're finally up! Why do you sleep so late?"

"I believe the real question here is: why do you wake up so early? Were you all waiting for me?"

"Well, duh. All we have is Toru, and he's boring. Anyway, we wanted to show you something!" He grabbed my arm and ran towards the crossroads. Toru and Nico lagged behind. "It's just up here!"

North of the crossroads and out of town we wound. Tucked next to the base of a mountain was a small wooden hut. Nico, gasping for breath, managed: "Here... here it is..."

"This is our hideout!" West showed me inside the shack. The structure had no roof. It was built out of wooden boards and stood on stilts. Makeshift stairs led to the room that made up the shack, but where there seemed to be a doorframe, there was no door.