Chapter 24: Legendary Knight Hermos

...duels continued from last chapter:

RAIN ORICHALCUM [LP: 1100] vs. MISTY TREDWELL [LP: 2900]

R Cards in Hand = 3 / Cards on Field = Blue-Eyes White Dragon [3000/2500] in Attack Position; face-up Aegis of Gaia; 1 face-down trap

M Cards in Hand = 0 / Cards on Field = Field Spell Mirror Labyrinth; Sad Story - Unwavering Truth, Sad Story - Sorrowful Memories; Earthbound Immortal Ccarayhua [2800/1800] in Attack Position; 1 face-down trap

KALIN KESSLER [LP: 100] vs. AKIZA IZINSKI [LP: 100]

K Cards in Hand = 0 / Cards on Field = Black Rose Dragon [2400/1800] equipped with Dark Necrofear

A Cards in Hand = 1 / Cards on Field = Overdoom Line

___
I have seen what the darkness does
Say good-by to who I was.
I ain't never been away so long
Don't look back – them days are gone.
___

(Meet Me in the Woods - Lord Huron)

Trepidation infected me from the frequency of my blackouts despite my partner's reassurances. I figured I needed to focus on the task at hand and drew the top card of my deck.

I announced, "As it so happens, I drew another Legendary Dragon, which is unaffected by your Sad Story spell cards!"

"Those cards aren't real," the wicked god hissed. The fires of the dark sign of the Lizard caught as a gleam in her dark eyes. "They are illegal for use!"

"And yet here Hermos is," I said with a smile. The mahogany dragon's yellow eyes blinked at me. I wondered if he was smiling back. At the thought, a memory rose from the depths of my mind.

 At the thought, a memory rose from the depths of my mind

/\/\/\/\/\/\/

"Hey, Rain. Do you mind if I just call you Rain? The whole 'Knight' junk gets old quickly."

"Sure," I said. I had learned to let Hermos do most of the talking. I set aside my sewing kit and the black cloak I was embroidering. Hermos removed his red helmet and tossed his brunet locks. "What do I call you?"

"Me? Stick with Hermos, though my full name's Hermocrates." He winked at me. I wasn't sure what it was supposed to mean. "Anyways, I've been looking for you because I wanted to ask you something. Do you- Eh, it might not be a good idea to bring it up, but I can't shake it. Do you regret what you did?"

Did I regret it. The short answer was no. However, there were subsequent events I could not have foreseen happening as a result. I said, "In some ways I do, yes."

Hermos sighed. "That's good. You'll have to see them all again. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't mess with your head."

Of course it wouldn't. That moment was the most clear of any in my life. But it was past, as Timaeus said. Hermos went on: "Just, whatever happens, I want you to know we're friends. We have your back."