Chapter 7: A Simple Smile

"Team Dirty Works," Kalin announced to the team, "rulers of Sector C. They hide out in an old bowling alley. We're storming the entrance together. Yusei and Rain will search inside while Crow, Jack, and I guard the entrance. Let's head out!"

We were gathered in the hideout's main room, and I lingered in the corner. He... paired me with someone else. Kalin sprinted out. Crow ran after him. Jack struggled to keep up, grumbling all the while.

Yusei hung back. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him watching me. He asked, "Something on your mind? You're usually right behind Kalin."

"I'm just... a little confused," I muttered. "But it's not as important as this. I'm your partner today, and I have your back."

Yusei grasped his chin. "You sure you don't want to talk?"

"Maybe later," I said. I started towards the exit and paused. "Um, thanks. For asking."

"It's what friends do."

I was able to smile at his words. We had to be silent the rest of the way to not attract attention. The old bowling alley was tucked into a corner of Sector C, which took up a large chunk of northwest Satellite. The area must have been an entertainment district way back when. The big signs and worn adverts, most displaying women wearing little clothing, showed as much.

Crow waited outside and waved us in. A lobby with worn carpet held arcade machines. Most had fallen and the glass displays were busted. Jack nodded towards the next set of doors, which were thick and heavy. Yusei and I shoved one open each.

The massive room past the lobby contained rows upon rows of bowling lanes, their wood long since rotted. I watched Yusei's back as he traversed a lane. A silver glint caught my eye.

The whistle of the triggered tripwire spurred my movement. I dove at Yusei's waist, and we crashed onto the wooden floor. A boom sounded behind us. Concrete debris scattered where Yusei had been standing. "You- you saved me, Rain! Good eye."

He looked like he had something else to say, but another voice cut us off. A man stood from behind the counter up front. "Dammit, the shadow came! You see that? She's got s sixth sense to go with her demonic powers!"

"No shit," another one said. He crawled out from the darkness at the end of the middle alley. "I thought Kessler's shadow was a myth."

What's with the whole shadow thing? Wait a second. These two tried to kill my friend, and they only complained about how I ruined it. I grit my teeth, and my upper lip jumped. Yusei palmed his cuffs and said, "I'll take the entrance. You take the alley."

I slipped out one of my cuffs, attached it to my disk, and risked a running start along the creaky boards. I tossed the other end at the Dirty Works member's arm, and it clicked into place.

"DUEL START!"

I commanded, "You first."

"Why'd the demon have to pick me?" he murmured as he reluctantly drew his cards. "Whatever. It's easy. I just won't take damage! I activate the Field Spell Umi! Now, I summon Kaiser Sea Horse in attack position, set one face-down, and end my turn."

The card I drew was heavier than the rest. The power it leaked felt as familiar to me as the duel disk on my arm. The Field Spell slot cut open from beneath the card zones. "I activate the Seal of Orichalcos!"