I'm a Monster

Lissa Graymark

I don't know how I ended up back here but I was drowning in Lake Lyn again. It could have been seconds, minutes or even hours but the darkness didn't take over like last time. I waited for it. Death. I could see it coming. I didn't hold the Visionary title for no reason.

When my time finally drew to a close, the shadows took over my sight and the visions took over for the first time in a long while.

Figures in black rushing to battle.

You won't be able to stop this.

A fight between siblings.

It's destiny.

Downworlders dying.

It's their time.

More shadowhunter deaths.

It's your time.

Ithuriel.

I warned you.

"Hey, hey, hey! Hey! It's okay," I flinched back into the pillows as someone grabbed my shoulders, shaking me firmly, "Wake up. Wake up."

I let out a short scream when I opened my eyes to see Jace's body get thrown to the end of the bed.

"It was just a bad dream," he grumbled from his position on his back.

I grabbed my robe that lay on the floor by the bed and rushed to his side, helping him up.

"Oh my god, Jace are you alright?" He simply nodded before pulling me back under the covers, "Where did you go?"

"I went to check on the sword," he informed me as he pulled me back against his chest, "Are you all right?"

"Yeah. I, uh..." I snuggled into his chest as I thought back to what I was dreaming about, "I was back at Lake Lyn. Underwater. Drowning..."

He grasped my hands, giving them a reassuring squeeze, "Well, you're all right now."

"You know, everything that happened back at the lake, I..." I shook my head trying to clear my blurry thoughts as sleep threatened to overwhelm me again, "I can't get it out of my head."

"It's not exactly top on my vacation list, either."

I paused slightly, not sure how to continue, "Were you serious about..."

He stopped playing with my fingers and instead wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a deep hug as he whispered reassurances in my ear, "It's okay. I'm here... I'm never going to leave your side."

"You won't always be..." I mumbled sleepily.

"Of course I-"

I unfortunately fell asleep before he could continue.

*

"The Clave and I are very impressed with your progress," I greeted the youngest Lightwood when he entered my office with his elder brother.

Max looks at Alec in confusion.

"They think you're ready for your first mission," Alec informed him when he turned his confused look in his direction.

I couldn't help but smile at the eagerness that shook his tiny body, "What do you think?"

"I've been ready since the day I got here," I smiled at those words.

I shared a quick look with Alec before nodding towards the door, "Well then, you better get your butt over to training."

"You know how much our sister hates tardiness," Alec called after his retreating form.