With Life, Comes Death

Lissa Graymark

"Alec, I need to talk to you," I knocked on Alec's office door.

As soon as my fist made contact with the door, I was suddenly whisked away from the institute hallway.

Max crawling to Izzy's room. Blood soaking through her carpet.

"Oh, God! Max, can you hear me? Max! SOMEONE GET A MEDIC! Who did this to you? No!" I screamed as I was pulled away from him. I gasped as I slipped backed into reality and the vision cut off.

"Medic!" I gasped, stumbling into the wall, "Medic help."

"Milady?" someone stepped into my line of vision.

"Isabelle Lightwood's room," I grasped onto their arms, "Now. Tell the medics to go ASAP."

"Are you o-" she tried to ask me.

"GO!" I interrupted her with a shout, causing several glass windows to shatter. "Oh no," I whimpered before I hurried into my office, to grab my tablet. I then hurried to the medical room where I hoped Max was located.

"You found him?" I asked the shadowhunter closest to the entrance.

As soon as he nodded, I rushed inside to find the cot that Max occupied.

"Did you use an Iratze rune?" I asked the medics tending to him.

Despite their nod, I quickly drew one as well. My runes have always been stronger than others but right now, they didn't seem to work at all.

"Give me a moment," I quickly closed my eyes and grasped his head.

Sana eum. Sana eum. Sana eum.

What I didn't realise was that Max's eye lids had burst open and began to glow gold as he began to seize.

"Your majesty, stop!" I suddenly heard as I was shaken from my reverie.

"Why didn't it work?" I asked in disbelief as I let go of Max, "It always works!"

"Your magic was too strong," she began to explain to me, "It couldn't find the specific parts of his head at risk..." I stared at her in fear as she continued, "-it tried to heal too much in one go."

"Will he be okay?" I asked, grasping Max's limp hand.

"We'll try our hardest, your majesty," she nodded solemnly before placing her hand on her chest and bowing slightly. I nodded, allowing her to leave to return to helping Max.

L: Starts to cry when she looks down at her bloody hands.

How could someone do this to you? Why you Max? I stared at my bloody hands in growing horror. What did you do? What did you find? I caught sight of my tablet on the table by the door. You're not getting away with this. I ignored the flickering lights for the first time today.

Institute lockdown.

CONFIRM.

Perfect.

"What happened?" I suddenly heard a rush of voices enter the room.

"I don't know," I heard a voice respond, "I was notified when I was on my way to my room."

"Oh, my God..." I heard Clary's voice join in the fray, "Max..."

"What did you do?" I was suddenly shoved from Max's side, his hand slipping from my grip.

"Izzy, stop!" Alec said as he stopped me from falling on my face. "We should send him to Idris. See what they can do."

"Why didn't you see this sooner?" Izzy ignored her brother as she continued to unleash her fury at me.