Chapter Forty-One

Your eyes widen and you begin trembling. Angel glances up at you in surprise, then a look you've never seen before crosses her face. A look of arrogance...meanness. Then to your horror and shock, she begins reading aloud, "I can't stop thinking about what must lie underneath those trousers..." She cocks her brow and laughs at the words, the other girls wearing a mixture of amusement and guilt in their expressions.

          You close the space between you and Angel at an alarming speed, snatching the journal out of her hands quickly. You hold it tightly to your chest, your face pale with dread. "How...why did you..." Angel looks at you pathetically, "Y/n, come on. You were acting so suspicious about this "Potions notebook." I couldn't not take a look at what it was really about."

          You can't believe what you're hearing. Severus was right..."I...trusted you, Angel." Her face crinkles in disgust, "Please, Y/n...as if I'm the one who can't be trusted. Look at the disgusting things you filled this journal with!" Your face grows red with shame, your eyes burning with tears. "Honestly, a teacher, Y/n? He's so old! And what would Peter think?" she asks condescendingly.

          Your mind spins with everything that's unraveling before you. Your kinks on display for three girls you can no longer trust...your heart sinks in your chest. "I...I didn't––" "No need to explain, just admit it." Angel stands and steps closer to you, looking at you smugly. "You're kind of a freak with daddy issues," She says matter-of-factly, shrugging. "I...I'm not a freak, I just––"

          She steps even closer, her face growing more mean and spiteful, "Only a freak would want to sleep with that useless, no-good, miserable old bastard, he should've stayed dead––" You hear a loud smack, your eyes wide with surprise. Angel cowers on the floor beneath you, her hand covers her cheek, surprise, fear, and anger in her eyes. You see your trembling hand raised. I just...I just bitch slapped someone...oh, my god.

          "Y/n, what is wrong with you?!" Georgia was shrieking, rushing to Angel's side. Angel scoffs in disbelief, her eyes filling with tears. "Angel, I...I'm sorry, I––" "Stay away from me, you detestable freak!" She hisses at you.

          Georgia and Amy surround Angel, giving you piercing glares. You stand there stunned at what had transpired. Your heavy feet finally carry you out of the dorm and down the stair well, through the corridors. You break into a sprint, desperate to get out of this suffocating place .You hear Filch calling after you, "Oi! And where do you think you're off to?!" But you don't stop. You swing open the castle doors and run out into the night, tears stinging your face in the cold wind, your journal in hand. Your tired legs carry you to the Black Lake, where you collapse on the dock in a puddle of exhaustion, panting in confusion and shock.

          Then suddenly it's like the last 19 years just tumble out of you, the pain, hurt, and anger spilling out in broken sobs.

          How...could they do this to me? I thought they were my friends...how did they even find it? Your hands cover your face as the tears spill out of you, "Y/n...?" You turn in surprise and see Peter and Rupert emerging from the shadows of the boathouse. You jump to your feet embarrassed, quickly wiping your tears. They rush to your side, "What happened? Are you alight?" You breathe deeply to gain your composure, but when you open your mouth to speak only sobs come out, and panic rises in your chest, seeming to overtake you.

          Then the most surprising thing happens. On either side of you, they surround you and wrap you in a hug, and you feel...safe. Loved. The panic subsides and this sensation makes you cry all the more. Peter finally says softly, "Y/n, whatever it is that's happened...we've got your back." "Yeah, and if I need to kick someone's ass...just point me in the right direction," Rupert chimes in, his jaw clenched in defensive anger.